• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why do I need to add my young driver to my auto insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

favrenum1fan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Since my car is insured in my name, and people who drive my car are also supposed to be covered... what is the legal guideline for insuring a young, occasional driver of my car?

Thank you,

Lisa

ecmst12

Any licensed driver who lives in your household needs to be named on your policy, unless they have their own car and are insured elsewhere.

mistaP

needs to be or is legally required by Texas to be?

When I was a kid in Indiana in the mid-80's, my parents' good friend, the insurance man ( who was also their rep), said they didn't have to list me or my siblings. Legal or not, I don't know, but it saved us a lot of money at the time.

I'd find out for sure.

ecmst12

If you want them to be covered if there is an accident, they need to be listed on the policy. Otherwise you will end up being PERSONALLY responsible for any accidents they cause.

moburkes

needs to be or is legally required by Texas to be?

When I was a kid in Indiana in the mid-80's, my parents' good friend, the insurance man ( who was also their rep), said they didn't have to list me or my siblings. Legal or not, I don't know, but it saved us a lot of money at the time.

I'd find out for sure.
Seriously? Are you serious? The mid 80s was at least 20 years ago, and that's what you're basing your response on?

The law requires people who drive to have liability insurance, even in Texas, right? But your insurance company requires your household members to be listed on your policy as drivers. The law doesn't prevent that. The insurance company wants PREMIUM. In exchange for PREMIUM, they will pay a claim the driver is liable for. Is that a bad deal?

ecmst12

More importantly, the insurance wants the premium which is appropriate for the risk presented by having a young driver drive the car.

mistaP

Seriously? Are you serious? The mid 80s was at least 20 years ago, and that's what you're basing your response on?

The law requires people who drive to have liability insurance, even in Texas, right? But your insurance company requires your household members to be listed on your policy as drivers. The law doesn't prevent that. The insurance company wants PREMIUM. In exchange for PREMIUM, they will pay a claim the driver is liable for. Is that a bad deal?

Can you say, "anecdote"? The point is for OP to seek answer from a qualified source.

Country Living

Your insurer is entitled to collect a premium commensurate with the risk. Read Part E - General Provisions / Changes - of your auto contract.

“If, during the policy period, the risk exposure changes for any of the following reasons, we will make the necessary premium adjustments effective the date of the change in exposure..... B6 - addition or deletion of an operator".

If you deceive your insurance company (fraud), then expect them to non-renew the policy. If you can't be honest with them on the type of risk they're insuring, then it's not inconceivable to suspect you will also commit claim fraud.

Is that enough of a "qualified source" for you?

Country Living

Really? I don't think you could get more qualified than myself and ecmst12, right now. Laughable comment. At best.
Anecdote? Yep, laughable... Moburkes and ecmst12 are the insurance experts on this board. I just happened to have my Texas auto contract close by and decided to quote it since the new person wasn't taking their word for it.

It does not bode well for a new person to just get a logon and immediately get cheeky with the seniors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">