• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cattle Fence - Can I make neighbor help pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gmcmillan74015

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

I bought 40 acres that was not fenced from adjacent cattle land. I dont have livestock. I bought the land for hunting/recreation. I agreed verbally to allow the neighbor to continue running their cattle on my place until they could get it fenced to contain their cattle. They made promises but never put up fence. I ended up paying to have dozer work to clear/grade the fence row and had barbwire fence installed. They still never gave me anything but put-offs and promises to pay me back one day. Can I take them to court and make them pay for part or all of the dozer and fence? It has now been about three years since I put the fence in.

FarmerJ

With out a signed contract from them I doubt you would be able to win anything from them. They can simply deny there ever was any kind of verbal agreement.

TigerD

You could open the fence and then invite them over for a nice STEAK dinner in a few days... :cool:
Can they still summarily hang cattle rustlers? Might want to check that out. also, you should probably check the criminal penalties for cattle theft.

For the OP -- It's your land, your fence, your problem.

DC

gmcmillan74015

Aside from a contract or agreement, I wonder if the law requires that livestock be contained and thereby obligates the owner to provide fence. I'm guessing I could have won a judgement requiring them to contain their cattle had I taken them to court for grazing on my land (rather than building fence), right?

BTW, it aint rustling if they are astray. At that point its called steak.

gmcmillan74015

Getting specific. . .
OK statute Title 4-99 states that it is a misdemeanor to fail to contain livestock. Title 4, Section 140 states that you may recover costs from those who fail to construct or maintain fence for their livestock. I am wondering if there is any statute of limitations on this ability to recover. . .

TigerD

Getting specific. . .
OK statute Title 4-99 states that it is a misdemeanor to fail to contain livestock. Title 4, Section 140 states that you may recover costs from those who fail to construct or maintain fence for their livestock. I am wondering if there is any statute of limitations on this ability to recover. . .
What damages did you incur? Can you prove them?

Not the fence -- that is an improvement you chose to make to your property.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">