• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Premarital property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackbc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Jersey

I’m getting divorced. I purchased my house in May of 1994. That is, I signed the contracts and gave my realtor the deposit and secured a loan and did all of the preparation one must do to purchase a house. So, there was a fully executed, legally binding contract to purchase the house in May of 1994. I couldn’t close until August 1, 1994. I got married in July 1994. At closing I told my lawyer I was now married, he called the lender, and they said it didn't matter. We closed, My spouse's name is not on the deed nor is she responsible for the mortgage. Is the house legally mine prior to marriage?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New Jersey

I’m getting divorced. I purchased my house in May of 1994. That is, I signed the contracts and gave my realtor the deposit and secured a loan and did all of the preparation one must do to purchase a house. So, there was a fully executed, legally binding contract to purchase the house in May of 1994. I couldn’t close until August 1, 1994. I got married in July 1994. At closing I told my lawyer I was now married, he called the lender, and they said it didn't matter. We closed, My spouse's name is not on the deed nor is she responsible for the mortgage. Is the house legally mine prior to marriage?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I doubt it. The house became yours at closing. Not to mention that you've presumably been using marital funds to make the mortgage payments, taxes, maintenance, etc.

HOWEVER, if the money that you used to buy the house was yours before you got married, you could easily argue that the downpayment was a premarital asset and should be excluded from the property division.

Bali Hai

I doubt it. The house became yours at closing. Not to mention that you've presumably been using marital funds to make the mortgage payments, taxes, maintenance, etc.

This presumptous STRETCH is how dim whitted judges make their jackass rulings.

HOWEVER, if the money that you used to buy the house was yours before you got married, you could easily argue that the downpayment was a premarital asset and should be excluded from the property division.
If OP was using premarital assets to buy AND pay for the property during the marriage, BOTH should be excluded from the property division.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">