• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice, Insurance Gave out my info...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlelaca

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

5 weeks ago I was in a minor fender bender accident..

The other driver and i exchanged info, and he took a picture of my lic plate #

tthe damage to my car was a scratch, so of course i didnt report it, i didnt even take anything but his name.. i loaned him the pen and paper to write down all my info ect, he did, and as we bid farewell, he gave me back the note pad and the pin, we both get in our cars and drive off..

as i open the notebook i see he forgot to take the paper with him..
so all he had was a picture of my lic plate # and i had none of his info..

yesterday i hear from mercury insurance, i assume its his ins provider although the car was a rental..

it was a simple inquiry into the accident..

i step out come home to find a note on my floor in my apartment.. it was a note from the other driver, saying he lost my info and that he got my home address from his insurance co.. to call him ect..

I am livid that a insurance co would give a regular citizen, my home address, what if this guy was some crazed psycho, he now has my home address.. why didnt his insurance contact my insurance and contact me, that info should have been available through the dmv ect..

I have 2 questions..

since he literally has no proof of the accident, am i still liable? if so i dont really care..

But can i take legal action against mercury for releasing my home address to this guy.. that is total invasion of privacy..

please advise..

moburkes

You never mentioned if the accident was your fault or not. Nor did you state if there was damage to the other car. Lastly, dont' you want your insurance company to handle it? Or would you prefer to be sued?

ecmst12

Your address is not private. It's connected to your license plate number. He could get it by filing a police report on the accident too. HIS insurance company has no duty to keep your address from him, considering it is PUBLIC information on your DMV record.

dlelaca

You never mentioned if the accident was your fault or not. Nor did you state if there was damage to the other car. Lastly, dont' you want your insurance company to handle it? Or would you prefer to be sued?

I gave him the info originally, in his note he says he lost it..

If his insurance company has my info which obviously they do, why is it needed to give to him?

They contacted me via a mailing, why did they feel the need to give him my info as he stated in his note.. if he would have went to the dmv they would never give him my info.. My address is not public knowledge.. for them to give my home address to this guy is absurd..

what if he would have came here and tried to injure me, or injure my girl friend ect... i think they are completely in the wrong.. and i couldnt disagree with you more..

my damage in minimal, under 750 per dmv i didnt have to report my damage..

dlelaca

Your address is not private. It's connected to your license plate number. He could get it by filing a police report on the accident too. HIS insurance company has no duty to keep your address from him, considering it is PUBLIC information on your DMV record.
obviously there was no police report filed, and this happened over 5 weeks ago..

i feel violated that his insurance would give him my home address..

being that he had no other info on me besides a snap shot of my plate..

its basically his word against mine..

thats not the issue...

i feel the insurance has no business giving out my info to anyone other than my insurance co...

cyjeff

obviously there was no police report filed, and this happened over 5 weeks ago..

i feel violated that his insurance would give him my home address..

being that he had no other info on me besides a snap shot of my plate..

its basically his word against mine..

thats not the issue...

i feel the insurance has no business giving out my info to anyone other than my insurance co...
I understand your point.

It is just incorrect. The insurance company most certainly does have the ability to get your address. They also have the ability to give the other driver this information... especially since you already gave it to him willingly.

I don't understand your concern. You gave him the information... you are upset that he has it?

dlelaca

I understand your point.

It is just incorrect. The insurance company most certainly does have the ability to get your address. They also have the ability to give the other driver this information... especially since you already gave it to him willingly.

I don't understand your concern. You gave him the information... you are upset that he has it?
i never gave him my address originally..

i gave him my phone # and insurance provider and policy #

there is no need for a random person to have your address..

the insurance company should be the one handling this, not passing over my home address to someone..

I have no problem with his insurance having my info, they contacted me, fine, i will then direct them to my insurance, no problem.. but why was it reasonable to give my home address to this guy?

no one has yet to explain how that is legal..

cyjeff

i never gave him my address originally..

i gave him my phone # and insurance provider and policy #
Google "reverse phone number lookup".

You gave your address.

You have no right to privacy after an automobile accident.

there is no need for a random person to have your address..
He is not a random person.

He is, now, your debtor and, therefore, has to be able to find you.

this is, by the way, one of the very best reasons for getting a police report.

the insurance company should be the one handling this, not passing over my home address to someone..
The insurance company works for the other driver.

They have no burden of confidentiality.

I have no problem with his insurance having my info, they contacted me, fine, i will then direct them to my insurance, no problem.. but why was it reasonable to give my home address to this guy?

no one has yet to explain how that is legal..
It is legal because there is no law that says it is illegal.

dlelaca

Google "reverse phone number lookup".

You gave your address.

You have no right to privacy after an automobile accident.

My Phone Bill is paid by another name under a company account, its has no info on me.. it would not provide him my home address

He is not a random person.

He is, now, your debtor and, therefore, has to be able to find you.

this is, by the way, one of the very best reasons for getting a police report.

He is most definitely a random person, we exchanged info, he failed in securing the info. I do not know him, and he needs not know my personal address.. His insurance was handling it, they obviously knew my address, since they mailed me, why did they feel it reasonable to give to him?

The insurance company works for the other driver.
They have no burden of confidentiality.

Working for him is not providing him my home address...

It is legal because there is no law that says it is illegal.
Everything we do in life now is folled by a confidentiality and privacy notice.. are you joking?

are you an actual attorney, or just knowledgeable? Privacy laws are a hot button issue right now..

dlelaca

California Cops will not file police reports on minor traffic accidents unless there is injury or non insurance issues ect....

cyjeff

Everything we do in life now is folled by a confidentiality and privacy notice.. are you joking?

are you an actual attorney, or just knowledgeable? Privacy laws are a hot button issue right now..
Fine... here is what you do.

You get your butt to an attorney. Bring your checkbook.

Your address is NOT confidential information.

You are saying that the information was his... but since he lost it you don't have to pay?

Again, the insurance company is under NO - not even a little - obligation to keep your information private.

None.

If you want the privacy laws changed, write your congressman.

dlelaca

Fine... here is what you do.

You get your butt to an attorney. Bring your checkbook.

Your address is NOT confidential information.

You are saying that the information was his... but since he lost it you don't have to pay?

Again, the insurance company is under NO - not even a little - obligation to keep your information private.

None.

If you want the privacy laws changed, write your congressman.
This person by himself could not have gotten my home address..

The Insurance Company used there tools in gaining there info, they are certified, have had background checks ect.. I have no problem with that.. The fact that they gave him my address to a person involved is 100% wrong and is beyond comprehensible.. Again what was the purpose of it, why would they feel the need to give him my home address, why would the guy come to my house and leave a note?

Again no reasonable explanation to give another persons address out..

ecmst12

If he wants to SUE YOU, which he is entitled to do, he needs your address. His insurance company was correct in giving it to him. If he had attacked you, you could have him arrested for assault. But he didn't and his insurance company had no reason to think he would do something that stupid.

cyjeff

This person by himself could not have gotten my home address..

The Insurance Company used there tools in gaining there info, they are certified, have had background checks ect.. I have no problem with that.. The fact that they gave him my address to a person involved is 100% wrong and is beyond comprehensible.. Again what was the purpose of it, why would they feel the need to give him my home address, why would the guy come to my house and leave a note?

Again no reasonable explanation to give another persons address out..
the word is "their".

I tell you what, let's look at this another way.

Please show me the law that says that they can't.

Oh, and I assume you aren't in the phone book. Maybe he just went down the list in the white pages until he found you.

Because, again, YOUR ADDRESS IS NOT PRIVILEGED INFORMATION.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">