• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help to find a liability release form for using someone elses car (PLZ see post)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

westie06516

I am from Connecticut and am seeking where I can find an example or free liability release form for my daughter who is a nanny for two children.

Basically the parents of these two children (both under 10 years old) are allowing and prefer that my daughter drive their 2002 Land Rover Discovery with 4 wheel drive since winter is upon us. I am worried of what what happen to my daughter (age 19) or me if she was to get involved in a auto accident in a vehicle that belongs and is owned by the parents, while she was behind the wheel and had either one of children or both in the SUV. A co-worker told me that I could find free liability release forms online that I would plug in the important information (names, car make and model, plate numbers, etc) and have it state that my daughter would not be legally held responsible if she was to get involved in an accident with the SUV and kids inside, and that it would all be the parents liability and responsibility for any damages or injuries. I am afraid that these people might want to sucker over my daughter and wait for her to slip, and then sue her for an insane amount, or come after me, her father. I'm not looking to loose my house over a job my daughter makes a few bucks from.

Does anyone know where I can find such liability release forms online and fill in or where I can see examples so I can type one from scratch? I want both the parents and my daughter to sign and have copies of this liability release form once it has been notarized by a public notary. Does this sound like a reasonable approach and do I make sense?

Any help of guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance and God Bless!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

What they need to do is add your daughter to their auto policy since she will be driving their vehicle regularly. Between that and her OWN auto insurance, she should be well protected.

If she causes an accident, she WILL be liable for it. And she SHOULD be liable for it.

westie06516

Thanks ecmst12 for that info. Out of curiosity though, is there anyway that there is a way I can type up, or look at an example, or use a pre-made liability waiver form that both parties sign that collect everyone information, the VIN, plate number, and make and model of the SUV, the drivers and occupants, and that if any damage is done to the SUV or any harm was to happen to any of the occupants, it would be on these kids parents plate to deal with and take full responsibility of. They told my daughter to put something together in writing and they would sign, but I don't want her to write something up...or me for the matter, that would have some sort of loop hole where these people would want to point the finger and full blame on my daughter or me...seeing as I am her father and own a home...they could decide to come after that or any finical assets I have.

I've never heard of such an arrangement or agreement and don't want my daughter to get involved in some fishy business that might turn around and bite her hard in many ways. Is there anyone else out there who has been or gone through such a proposed agreement/arrangement? If I was well off, hired a nanny, I would not want to take the full brunt of the blame if they where driving an expensive car or SUV I owned, or put my kids in danger and caused bodily harm. I know the job market and economy stink right now and my daughter is trying to make a few bucks for school supplies and text books, while I pay for the tuition, but it's hard and expensive doing that along with all the other finical responsibilities I need to meet weekly and monthly (bills).

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated before my daughter and I go ahead and get our selves into a jam...

ecmst12

One person cannot release another person from liability due to that person's negligence. So if she causes an accident, she will be liable and she SHOULD be liable and you should make sure she is carrying sufficient insurance that no one will have to worry.

cyjeff

You may also want to talk to your insurance carrier about an "umbrella" policy.

these are typically very inexpensive and their sole purpose is to kick in when all other insurance sources have been exhausted.

I recommend one to all of my friends with teen age drivers... and no, I am not in the insurance biz.

ecmst12

That only helps if daughter still lives at home. And if she doesn't, then parents couldn't be named in a suit from an accident that she had, unless they owned the car she was driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">