• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property of deceased parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tippa16

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My mother did a quit claim and added me and my siblings to her deed without our knowledge. She died last year and the condo association and property tax office have wrote to us regarding fees that they expect us to pay. The property has been unoccupied since she died a year ago. None of us can live in the property nor are we interested in it. We were told that we can write the mortgate company and let them know that we will turn the property over to them in lieu of foreclosure as the mortgage was in my mother's name only. Can the condo association and tax collector force us to pay?

Last edited:

BlondiePB

My mother did a quit claim and added me and my siblings to her deed. She died last year and the condo association and property tax office have wrote to use regarding fees that they expect us to pay. The property has been unoccupied since she died a year ago. None of us can live in the property nor are we interested in it. Can they force us to pay?
They can foreclose on the property and put it up for an auction sale to recover their monies.

FlyingRon

It's your property, you must pay the condo fees. You became liable to them as soon as your mother gifted the property to you (which was probably not a great idea to begin with).

Not only can they foreclose, if there is still a deficiency they can try to get a further judgement against you.

moburkes

My mother did a quit claim and added me and my siblings to her deed. She died last year and the condo association and property tax office have wrote to use regarding fees that they expect us to pay. The property has been unoccupied since she died a year ago. None of us can live in the property nor are we interested in it. Can they force us to pay?
Why would you think otherwise? You're now the owners of the property. Did you think you wouldn't be responsible for fees and taxes and assessments and upkeep?:confused:

Tippa16

To answer your question, we are just now dealing with it because (1) we received some bad advice that we did not need to take any action besides advising the association that she had died last year and(2) we were not aware that our names were added to the deed until very recently.

moburkes

Instead of changing your original post, you should have simply added that information to a new post. Now it looks like you provided us with all this information in the first place - which you did not.

sniper111

Someone has to open a probate case to distribute the proceeds and pay the debts.
Also, I didn't know one can add other people to their title without them knowing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">