• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex's Attorney's Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

koshidog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
Hello, and thank you for any responses you may give.

My Ex's atty has requested me to furnish a copy of my children's college fund statement to assure all funds are up-to-date. Language was incorporated into our Divorce stating that mom and dad will contribute to children's college fund. In his request was a redacted copy of my ex's share of contribution of the college fund.

I sent a redacted copy back as requested. I received another letter from my ex's atty asking for an un-redacted copy as well as monthly statements versus the end-of-year statement that I sent.

My question - do I have to respond back to my ex's atty with this information without a court order? And if so, why is he permitted to send a redacted copy of his statement versus my unredacted copy? I'm very hesitate to give account numbers, etc, out to my ex since in the past they fraudulently used my credit card account for their own purchases.

The atty has given me a deadline when to respond. How should I respond? Thanks again for any help you can give.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD
Hello, and thank you for any responses you may give.

My Ex's atty has requested me to furnish a copy of my children's college fund statement to assure all funds are up-to-date. Language was incorporated into our Divorce stating that mom and dad will contribute to children's college fund. In his request was a redacted copy of my ex's share of contribution of the college fund.

I sent a redacted copy back as requested. I received another letter from my ex's atty asking for an un-redacted copy as well as monthly statements versus the end-of-year statement that I sent.

My question - do I have to respond back to my ex's atty with this information without a court order? And if so, why is he permitted to send a redacted copy of his statement versus my unredacted copy? I'm very hesitate to give account numbers, etc, out to my ex since in the past they fraudulently used my credit card account for their own purchases.

The atty has given me a deadline when to respond. How should I respond? Thanks again for any help you can give.
Actually, you are not required to respond to your ex's attorney unless your court orders state that you are to provide that type of information. However, odds are that the attorney will ask the judge to order you to provide the information.

However, providing an end of the year statement, which I assume was issued for 2008, since you wouldn't have an end of the year statement for 2009 yet kind of defeats the purpose of providing information. You should provide the most current information available.

Send the most current information, but decline to provide it unredacted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">