• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Surveillance, Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brnshark

I live in Illinois and have reechoed neighbors. They are elderly and have a 40 year old son that lives with them. I went out of town and they put up a fence down the middle of the driveway.

I went out of town again and they put up surveillance cameras all facing my home. They are round tinted and i have seen pictures of the angles they face. They view my property, basement bathroom, inside my garage when open, all along my driveway and backyard.

I pulled in my driveway one day and the neighbor got caught taking pictures of me and i called the police and had a report filed. I filed many reports regarding the surveillance and also have a police report that the son admitted audio recording us. I report states that. The police say they cant do anything.

I feel very violated and that these people are watching me regularly, i know they are because this is the type of people that they are. I've lived here for 5 years and I cant stand they watch me and every move i take? They take pictures of my cars and me. They have surveillance of me in my drive way holding my daughter. I feel this is very creepy. The cameras are only facing my side of the home. What can i do?

Some Random Guy

Although using laser pointers to disable security cameras is cheap and effective, it can put you on the hook for paying for those security cameras.

Long term exposure to the laser beams can permanently damage the cameras.

TigerD

Although using laser pointers to disable security cameras is cheap and effective, it can put you on the hook for paying for those security cameras.

But a complaint about the neighbors using cameras to film your underage children in the bathroom, will do wonders.

DC

csi7

The cameras are obviously creating an invasion of your privacy since they are aimed at your home and towards your property. Stalking includes the abuse of surveillance cameras in this manner. The ones towards the bathroom and little kids are a definite red flag.

The fence went up, then the cameras were placed, is also a red flag.

Brnshark

They are doing this because when I was out of town they put up a fence down a shared driveway we have. So Know i ca not use my side door or my drive way and garage. I am in court with them regarding a prescriptive easement. So they are doing it probably to be spiteful or they think im going to rip down there fence. :eek:

Do you know why they are doing this?

Brnshark

Yeah but is there anything i can do about this. I have filed police reports regarding the pictures being taken and the cameras,and audio recording?

The cameras are obviously creating an invasion of your privacy since they are aimed at your home and towards your property. Stalking includes the abuse of surveillance cameras in this manner. The ones towards the bathroom and little kids are a definite red flag.

The fence went up, then the cameras were placed, is also a red flag.

Isis1

They are doing this because when I was out of town they put up a fence down a shared driveway we have. So Know i ca not use my side door or my drive way and garage. I am in court with them regarding a prescriptive easement. So they are doing it probably to be spiteful or they think im going to rip down there fence. :eek:
phew. DC comment was really creeping ME out.

i sure HOPE that's what they are trying to do.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Are you saying that they can "see" inside your bathroom?

The first thought that comes to mind is a police report that they are filming naked children. :eek:

How high are the cameras? Are they actually ON the fence?

TinkerBelleLuvr

http://www.ncvc.org/src/AGP.Net/Components/DocumentViewer/Download.aspxnz?DocumentID=35019
ILLINOIS

720 ILCS 5/12-7.3 (2000)

[Prior to 1/1/93 cited as: Ill. Rev. Stat., Ch. 38, para. 12-7.3]

§ 720 ILCS 5/12-7.3. Stalking

Sec. 12-7.3. Stalking. (a) A person commits stalking when he or she, knowingly and without lawful justification, on at least 2 separate occasions follows another person or places the person under surveillance or any combination thereof and:

(1) at any time transmits a threat of immediate or future bodily harm, sexual assault, confinement or restraint and the threat is directed towards that person or a family member of that person; or

(2) places that person in reasonable apprehension of immediate or future bodily harm, sexual assault, confinement or restraint; or

(3) places that person in reasonable apprehension that a family member will receive immediate or future bodily harm, sexual assault, confinement, or restraint.

(b) Sentence. Stalking is a Class 4 felony. A second or subsequent conviction for stalking is a Class 3 felony.

(b-5) The incarceration of a person in a penal institution who transmits a threat is not a bar to prosecution under this Section.

(c) Exemption. This Section does not apply to picketing occurring at the workplace that is otherwise lawful and arises out of a bona fide labor dispute, or any exercise of the right of free speech or assembly that is otherwise lawful.

(d) For the purpose of this Section, a defendant "places a person under surveillance" by remaining present outside the person's school, place of employment, vehicle, other place occupied by the person, or residence other than the residence of the defendant.

(e) For the purpose of this Section, "follows another person" means (i) to move in relative proximity to a person as that person moves from place to place or (ii) to remain in relative proximity to a person who is stationary or whose movements are confined to a small area. "Follows another person" does not include a following within the residence of the defendant.

(f) For the purposes of this Section and Section 12-7.4 [720 ILCS 5/12-7.4], "bona fide labor dispute" means any controversy concerning wages, salaries, hours, working conditions, or benefits, including health and welfare, sick leave, insurance, and pension or retirement provisions, the making or maintaining of collective bargaining agreements, and the terms to be included in those agreements.

(g) For the purposes of this Section, "transmits a threat" means a verbal or written threat or a threat implied by a pattern of conduct or a combination of verbal or written statements or conduct.

(h) For the purposes of this Section, "family member" means a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, or child, whether by whole blood, half-blood, or adoption and includes a step-grandparent, step-parent, step-brother, step-sister or step-child. "Family member" also means any other person who regularly resides in the household, or who, within the prior 6 months, regularly resided in the household.

Legislative Update: HB 4981, enacted on August 22, 2002, expands the stalking victims from subsequent repeat stalking incidents by the same offender. Under the provisions of the new law, a person who was previously convicted of stalking commits a new stalking offense when he or she knowingly and without lawful justifications stalks the same victim again on another single occasion.
http://www.esia.net/State_Stalking_Laws.htm

TinkerBelleLuvr

more interesting reading:

http://www.myillinoisdefenselawyer.com/il-criminal-charges/harassment-stalking/

http://crime.about.com/od/women/a/stalking_laws.htm
and then select Illinois

You said that they have a camera direct at your bathroom. You have a reasonable right of privacy in a bathroom. I would start there with my police report

TinkerBelleLuvr

phew. DC comment was really creeping ME out.

i sure HOPE that's what they are trying to do.
I think DC was thinking about it being the quickest way to getting the cameras down. I'm with him on that one. A person has a reasonable right to privacy when in the bathroom.

JustAPal00

Seems to me that if he can aim cameras at the OP's property, the OP can aim laser pointers at his cameras. The damage would be his problem!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">