• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pone Harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bacon123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Jurisdiction/Place: USA - Ohio

I was requested to appear at the office of the municipal prosecutor to answer to a complaint of telephone harassment. I called the office and I was told that this was simply a meeting to determine if I should be charged with a crime. The specifics are as follows:

1. My ex-girlfriend is currently on misdemeanor probation for assaulting me and for filing a false police report. She also has two pending felony charges pending in the County Court of Common Please for domestic violence against me.

2. There currently is not a protection order in place against her and the two of us had constant contact with each other on a daily basis from 8/15/2009 until 10/29/2009. We also had a son together on 10/19/2009, and I was present at the baby's birth. I am currently living at my parents house and she is living with her aunt.

3.On 10/31/2009 I was contacted by a patrol officer from the local police district and I was told that I must cease all contact with my ex because she claimed that I was harassing her.

4. On 11/2/2009, my ex called me from her mother's cell phone and initiated contact with me again. Furthermore, she called me from her mother's cell phone on several other occasions. We also conversed with each other via chat on G-mail everyday from 11/2 to 11/19. I have the chats saved. My ex invited me over to her aunt's house, and she also invited me to call her at her aunt's house.

5. As I stated, I was called to answer a complaint for telephone harassment. How can this be? My ex was contacting me. She called me, e-mailed me, and invited me over. How can I be guilty of harassment as we were having mutual contact with each other?

6. What did I do wrong? I figured that by contacting me, she nullified her claims of harassment. Also, what is the purpose of this prosecutor hearing? Do I need a lawyer? Can I bring witnesses with me? In Ohio, phone harassment is a first degree misdemeanor. Additionally, she does have several felony charges pending against her for assaulting me. I believe these charges are an attempt to get back at me for her current legal predicament; however, I still must go to this hearing. Can anyone offer some advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">