• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

friedman215

I live in Pennsylvania. I have been legally married for 30 years, but separated for 12. My spouse left me for another individual. There was never a formal separation agreement, or alimony child support paid to either party. Our children are all adults. My ex-spouse lives in another state and maintains her own bills and assets. I live in PA and do the same. I would like to file for divorce. Will I have to award her part of my state pension? I have been on the same job for 25 years.

mistoffolees

I live in Pennsylvania. I have been legally married for 30 years, but separated for 12. My spouse left me for another individual. There was never a formal separation agreement, or alimony child support paid to either party. Our children are all adults. My ex-spouse lives in another state and maintains her own bills and assets. I live in PA and do the same. I would like to file for divorce. Will I have to award her part of my state pension? I have been on the same job for 25 years.
Almost certainly. Pensions are considered as property and it will be subject to division.

When you separated 12 years ago, did you get a legal separation? If so, anything in that agreement would control the pension. Otherwise, you're going to be wishing you had filed for divorce 12 years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">