• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crazy ex after divorce settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alimar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

we agreed to used savings bonds accumulated during our marriage which were in his name to be used for our daughter's education. this was in the divorce decree. Now he wants these bonds back....saying they were for his retirement. Can he take me back to court?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

we agreed to used savings bonds accumulated during our marriage which were in his name to be used for our daughter's education. this was in the divorce decree. Now he wants these bonds back....saying they were for his retirement. Can he take me back to court?
He can try, but if the bonds are specifically listed in the divorce decree as being used for the daughter's education, he'll have a hard time getting anywhere.

In some states, he could argue that it's not enforceable, but in Illinois, judges have the ability to allocate college expenses.
http://www.illinoisdivorce.com/family_law_articles/child_support_and_college.php

Of course, that doesn't mean he can't sue you - in which case you'll need to defend yourself. Personally, I would hire an attorney and ask the court to award you attorney's fees since it's a frivolous suit, but you could get stuck with the fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">