• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Wife was still married when WE were!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

morethan1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

This is a peculiar question and story. My wife and I were married 12 years ago and divorced 5 years later. Since then we got back together and have been together for 4 years. We did not get re-married.

Recently I discovered a marriage certificate from Nevada indicating she was married a few years before we met. I HAD NEVER KNOWN THIS.

Unless that marriage ended in divorce or annulment what does that mean for the marriage that we had? Is it possible that due to the circumstances I might be able to have our divorce records destroyed since the marriage probably was not valid?

In general, what does this mean?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

This is a peculiar question and story. My wife and I were married 12 years ago and divorced 5 years later. Since then we got back together and have been together for 4 years. We did not get re-married.

Recently I discovered a marriage certificate from Nevada indicating she was married a few years before we met. I HAD NEVER KNOWN THIS.

Unless that marriage ended in divorce or annulment what does that mean for the marriage that we had? Is it possible that due to the circumstances I might be able to have our divorce records destroyed since the marriage probably was not valid?

In general, what does this mean?
When you asked her about this, what did she say?

Proserpina

I have not asked her about it yet.

I'd like to sort out what the different scenarios are first.
She'd be the ideal person to answer the questions of if and when she was divorced, the circumstances, etc., etc.

Honestly - there's not an awful lot anyone else can do without knowing the basics..though admittedly, I'm curious as to a) how this discovery came about, and b) your goal here...

morethan1

She'd be the ideal person to answer the questions of if and when she was divorced, the circumstances, etc., etc.

Honestly - there's not an awful lot anyone else can do without knowing the basics..though admittedly, I'm curious as to a) how this discovery came about, and b) your goal here...
I was cleaning out the attic and getting rid of old things and the marriage cert was in a folder.

I have no goal, i'm just curious what it means legally. Seems to me that quite possibly she is STILL legally married.

It simply makes me wonder what that legally means for the marriage and divorce we had.

mistoffolees

It simply makes me wonder what that legally means for the marriage and divorce we had.
Probably nothing.

There are two scenarios:

1. She got a divorce from the first marriage before she married you. In that case, your marriage was valid.

2. She didn't get a divorce before she married you. In that case she committed bigamy, but since you already divorced her, it's too late to do anything about it and it no longer matters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">