• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I file a harassment case against neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jordann

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I have 3 dogs who are rarely outside. They only come out to use the bathroom but they are mostly house dogs. My neighbor who a little while ago had to pay me for hitting my vehicle, recently called animal control on me stating that my dogs are dangerous and she fears for the kids in the neighoborhood. She wants me to build a 6ft fence around my house. She also stated that they get out of the yard and are left out all night. First, there are only 2 kids in our neighborhood, one is mine and they other one is hers. I have neighbors who agreed to testify that none of this is true about my dogs. She continues to call animal control. I have been fined once for not having a pet license for which I am now applying. She contested the license so now I have to go to court to see if I can keep my dogs. I feel like this is harassment and want to know if I can file a case against her because none of this is true. Even the animal control officer came to inspect our house and stated that she sees no reason for her complaints but that we will have to tie our dogs up if we let them outside and come to court.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I have 3 dogs who are rarely outside. They only come out to use the bathroom but they are mostly house dogs. My neighbor who a little while ago had to pay me for hitting my vehicle, recently called animal control on me stating that my dogs are dangerous and she fears for the kids in the neighoborhood. She wants me to build a 6ft fence around my house. She also stated that they get out of the yard and are left out all night. First, there are only 2 kids in our neighborhood, one is mine and they other one is hers. I have neighbors who agreed to testify that none of this is true about my dogs. She continues to call animal control. I have been fined once for not having a pet license for which I am now applying. She contested the license so now I have to go to court to see if I can keep my dogs. I feel like this is harassment and want to know if I can file a case against her because none of this is true. Even the animal control officer came to inspect our house and stated that she sees no reason for her complaints but that we will have to tie our dogs up if we let them outside and come to court.
Your pitbulls, or rotties are house dogs?

Banned_Princess

Why do you "assume" I have pit bulls or rottweilers?
Due to the fact that you said the town officials said that you had to tie them up when they went outside. I don't think they make Pomeranian be chained when they go out.

Plus it is only sensical that the neighbor would be making a ruckus if they are large dogs.

I have 2 pits by the way, and the town has not told me to tie them up when their outside, but i have been ticketed for their registration.

Jordann

Due to the fact that you said the town officials said that you had to tie them up when they went outside. I don't think they make Pomeranian be chained when they go out.

Plus it is only sensical that the neighbor would be making a ruckus if they are large dogs.

I have 2 pits by the way, and the town has not told me to tie them up when their outside, but i have been ticketed for their registration.

As an alternative to purchasing a $3,000 fence they told us we could tie them up when they are outside (since it's only for a short period of time) because of the complaint not because of their size. And yes, they are house dogs.

csi7

This complaint procedure started after your neighbor had to pay for hitting your vehicle. Finish the case with the animals.

Keep all the information from the beginning of the neighbor issue which seems to be when the neighbor had to pay for hitting your vehicle. Have all the details at hand including the dates, times, and method of contact with everyone you have been in touch with over the matter.

Brnshark

Keep records of everything. If you can get animal control to write a affidavit that they found nothing to support the neighbors complaints you'd probably be in the clear.

Jordann

Keep records of everything. If you can get animal control to write a affidavit that they found nothing to support the neighbors complaints you'd probably be in the clear.
Thank you. The animal control officer did state that she will have to testify at the hearing and she felt that our dogs were well taken care of and didn't present a problem. The only issue she said she could see was that the neighbor wants us to build a 6ft fence around our property. I don't see how the city or a neighbor could make that call for us.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Take your dogs for walks on a leash and avoid that neighbor's yard. if the dog is always restrained outside, the neighbour has no valid complaint.

Jordann

Take your dogs for walks on a leash and avoid that neighbor's yard. if the dog is always restrained outside, the neighbour has no valid complaint.
Thank you. Our dogs actually are in the house all the time. The only time they are let out is twice a day for no longer than 20 mins to use the bathroom. We have now started tying them up when they are outside.

She's actually our next door neighbor.

TinkerBelleLuvr

With a neighbour such as yours, HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend NOT letting the dogs out without constant supervision. You are much better off walking the dogs on leash.

csi7

Take a picture of the two properties. Also take a picture of the area where you are keeping the dogs tied up. Keep them supervised at all times.

Tonyiz

Apparently your area has a leash and restraint law. What difference does it make whether your dog is out 20mins or 20secs? Basically you've made the decision to give your dog free run of ther neighborhood by allowing them out without a fence or restraint.

Banned_Princess

apparently your area has a leash and restraint law. What difference does it make whether your dog is out 20mins or 20secs? Basically you've made the decision to give your dog free run of ther neighborhood by allowing them out without a fence or restraint.
DONT OPEN THESE DEAD THREADS we STAY IN THE NOW HERE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">