• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement Deadline?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nattygirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

I was in an auto accident on Feb 21, 2009. I got t-boned by a car who ran a red light. I got an attorney (Michael H. Silvers) and my case was settled on Oct. 30, 2009. I received a letter from the other party's insurance company telling that they mailed the settlement check to my attorney on Nov. 2, 2009. I have yet to receive the settlement from my attorney. Is there a deadline or a requirement that says they need to get the settlement to me within a specific deadline? I've tried contacting them on numerous occasions and I get a bunch of lies and stories from their receptionist. The first excuse was that they had to hold onto the check for 2 weeks to make sure that it cashed before they can release the money to me. Another one being that the person handling my case is not in and no one else can assist me but her. Now I was told that the check was mailed out to me on Tuesday, but I have still not received it. They are located in Los Angeles and I am located in La Puente. I should have received the check the next day, assuming it was actually mailed. I'm starting to think that was a lie as well. The way they run their business has been pretty fishy from the get go. I'm starting to think I will never get my settlement. Is there any statutes, or rules, or laws that protect me as a client?

ecmst12

There's the contract you signed with them. What does IT say about your payment?

Did they send the check certified or trackable mail?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">