• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suspend probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thrtyhz

About 7 months ago we started the probate process on my dads will through a local lawyer. The lawyer contacted me 2 days ago and said that he should not complete the process because of the way the will is written. My dad had left a life estate to my stepmom and stated that I should sell the property upon her death which obviously cannot happen now, therefore the probate cannot be settled. He said if we finish the probate now that we would have to re-open it to sell he house in the future. Does any of this make any sence?

anteater

Does any of this make any sence?
Not really. But it may be the result of an poorly written will.

Does the will actually devise the property to anybody? Does it actually only say that stepmom has a life estate and then the executor is to sell it? What happens with the proceeds when it is sold?

Usually a will give a remainder interest to someone while reserving a life estate for someone else. The executor can then execute a deed transferring the property to the remaindermen, with the life estate recorded, and close probate.

thrtyhz

Yes, I am suppost to sell the house and split the money. 3/5 to me and my two brothers, the rest to my stepmoms side of the family consisting of her son,1/5, and two minor children 1/10 each. The will was homemade with advise from a lawyer but it is poorly written. I dont understand why this couldn't be resolved. Is it because theirs no remaindermen? Or are all six people the remaindermen? He did say if she(stepmom) would sign something giving up her life estate then he could put the house in all the hiers names but everyone would have to agree.

Last edited:

anteater

Is it because theirs no remaindermen? Or are all six people the remaindermen? He did say if she(stepmom) would sign something giving up her life estate then he could put the house in all the hiers names but everyone would have to agree.
Less the part about stepmom giving up the life estate, that is normally what would happen when the intent is to leave the property to someone or a group of people while granting someone use of the property during their lifetime.

I assume that you are the estate's personal representative.(?) I would ask your attorney if it is possible to petition the court to do what the attorney suggested - cutting out the part about stepmom surrendering the life estate (unless she does wish to). I can't see that it is in anybody's interest to leave everything in limbo. And I can't believe that the court would be terribly happy about leaving the case open for who knows how long.

thrtyhz

Thanks so much for your help. Yes I am the executer, and what you say makes alot of sence. I doubt she would give up her life estate and I would not feel right about asking her to. So now I'm left wondering why the lawyer would sudgest not finishing it. I am going to get some questions together and set another appointment with him.

thrtyhz

Update: Turns out the will has been probated. The only part that cannot be done is the where the heirs sign a paper that says they recieved everything that they were suppost to. The will says that the property must be sold and the money gets split, no property is shared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">