• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pleaseadvise22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

In April I sold my car to someone that I knew. I signed the title, cancelled my insurance, and sent in my tag to the state, all which I have proof of. The party that I sold it to never registered/ switched the title to the car even though I assumed that he had as per our discussion. Now this past week I was sent a notice of a lien from a towing company because he wrecked the car. The party that I sold it to is now in jail due to eluding the police, this happened in the car I had sold and it was wrecked. I do not have a bill of sale because this transaction was done in good faith, and it was a cash transaction of $200. The towing company is telling me I am legally responsible and that I am able to go to the car and look for the title. If I go to the car in search of the title, is that me taking responsibility. What are my options?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

ecmst12

The towing company just wants money they know they're not going to get from the owner. You sent in the tags (how was he driving the car with no tags?) and cancelled your registration, you should be in the clear.

Kersplat214

I learned the hard way that you should always get the signed paperwork, be it a reciept or a bill of sale. This is just another example of how this principle applies to every aspect of modern life.

Since you sent in the proper paperwork from your end, you should be in the clear. The new owner is responsible for obtaining registration and insurance in his own name, and his failure to do so shouldn't come back to haunt you.

Don't go to towing company to look for the title. They may photograph you while you are on the property rummaging around in the vehicle. This will be condemning evidence if ever introduced in court. Stay clear. Tell them that it's not your car, and then don't tell them anything else. If they have a legitimate claim against you they will likely file a case in small claims court, which you can defend yourself against when (and if) it arises.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">