• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DennisL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia...I was injured in Iraq before my marriage..Later I got married...5 years later the VA awards me a lump sum back pay check..I went and bought a car paid in full with my check..I had it titled in both our name...I have the paperwork that shows it was paid for with my disability check...Non of her money was involved..She had a SUV that her dad got her after she had a wreck in her other truck...One month later my wife decided to leave me and she took the car I bought and her dad wants the truck he got her...What are my chances of getting my car back...I have to have a way to get back and forth to the doctors and sometimes have to travel 4-5 hours away to VA hospital appointments..

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia...I was injured in Iraq before my marriage..Later I got married...5 years later the VA awards me a lump sum back pay check..I went and bought a car paid in full with my check..I had it titled in both our name...I have the paperwork that shows it was paid for with my disability check...Non of her money was involved..She had a SUV that her dad got her after she had a wreck in her other truck...One month later my wife decided to leave me and she took the car I bought and her dad wants the truck he got her...What are my chances of getting my car back...I have to have a way to get back and forth to the doctors and sometimes have to travel 4-5 hours away to VA hospital appointments..
File for divorce and ask for temporary possession of the car.

DennisL

property question

Thanks for your answer...I know your not the judge but the car is the only property owned and in our name..We rent our home and have no children together..If I can get temporary possession do you think the courts would allow her to get the car later...She makes more than I do..

mistoffolees

Thanks for your answer...I know your not the judge but the car is the only property owned and in our name..We rent our home and have no children together..If I can get temporary possession do you think the courts would allow her to get the car later...She makes more than I do..
Since you put it in both names, it is now marital property. If she gets it, she will have to reimburse you for half its value (and vice versa).

DennisL

property question

Ok thanks I am just scared of having no way to go...I will check into filing and the temorary possession and I gues hope that the court will show mercy on me..Since she has a car that her dad gave her...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">