• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He doesnt pay, lawyers doing nothing. Foreclosure, car to be repoed, kids not insured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Checkking

He doesnt pay, lawyers doing nothing. Foreclosure imminent.

florida
Im a single mother who has 2 dependent kids that are 20 and are fulltime students in college, and have another son who works a small job to now support everything. I do not have a job and cannot work. was a wife for 23 years and seperated now. He was arrested twice for domestic abuse over the course of the marriage, and he had abused me physically and mentally throughout the 23 years together.

It was a bad seperation, so the ex will do anything he wants to. He makes over 100k per year. The ex pays whenever he wants and only pays $1500 every month or so which doesnt help at all. I need about $4k each time he gets paid (bimonthly). we both made 23 credit cards with my name with up 17,500 owed to a couple cards under my name but im not working, so the creditors call me all day.

he was the one who made these credit card payments and now i cant pay these. he only pays the 3 cards in his names (he had a bankruptcy years ago eso we openned cards under my name). he still opens credit cards under his name using the house (he no longer lives in) so the creditors give him credit.

we bought a car under both our names 2 years ago and stopped paying this car payment. he thinks its not in his name. i now know that 2 months ago he bought himself and his mistress 2 new cars and im not sure how this can be allowed.

the biggest problem now: I have a house to pay and the foreclosure notice has come that i need to pay in 20 days. he doesnt pay the mortgage of $300k, nor does he make the house payments.

My old lawyers are at fault for allowing him to pay a low alimony of $1500 WHENEVER he wants and not enforcing the home payments nor mortgage payments. I hired a 2nd lawyer and he hasnt done anything to this moment.

the most important thing is ive recently been warned about foreclosure for my home, so i need this motion or some help from a lawyer STAT.

i also need advice as to what the lawyers should do. im assuming a motion of some sort to force the fixed dates to pay.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
florida
Im a single mother who has 2 dependent kids that are 20 and are fulltime students in college,
They are NOT dependent kids. They are adults.

and have another son who works a small job to now support everything. I do not have a job and cannot work.
Why can't you work? Are you receiving disability?
was a wife for 23 years and seperated now.
Separated or divorced?

He has a mistress so theres no justice. He was arrested twice for domestic abuse over the course of the marriage, and he had abused me physically and mentally throughout the 23 years together.
Why did you stay?

It was a bad seperation, so the ex will do anything he wants to. He makes over 100k per year. The ex pays whenever he wants and only pays $1500 every month or so which doesnt help at all.
What court orders exist?

I need about $4k each time he gets paid (bimonthly).
You NEED $8k a month? That is pretty much what he earns per month if he earns over 100k. 8 x 12 is 96k. You won't get it.

we both made 23 credit cards with my name with up 17,500 owed to a couple cards under my name but im not working, so the creditors call me all day.
If you are not working then you should NOT have gotten that much credit in your name because legally you are responsible. The court may require him to pay some of it but you will still be beholden to the creditors.

he was the one who made these credit card payments and now i cant pay these. he only pays the 3 cards in his names (he had a bankruptcy years ago eso we openned cards under my name). he still opens credit cards under his name using the house (he no longer lives in) so the creditors give him credit.
Okay.

we bought a car under both our names 2 years ago and stopped paying this car payment. he thinks its not in his name. i now know that 2 months ago he bought himself and his mistress 2 new cars and im not sure how this can be allowed.
How do you know he bought himself and his mistress two new cars? Who do you think is forbidding him because apparently there are no court orders.

the biggest problem now: I have a house to pay and the foreclosure notice has come that i need to pay in 20 days. he doesnt pay the mortgage of $300k, nor does he make the house payments.
Looks like you will be declaring bankruptcy AND looking for a new place to live. You are going to want to search for new housing -- look at section 8 housing.

My old lawyers are at fault for allowing him to pay a low alimony of $1500 WHENEVER he wants and not enforcing the home payments nor mortgage payments. I hired a 2nd lawyer and he hasnt done anything to this moment.
How did you pay the attorneys? What exactly does the court order states?

the most important thing is ive recently been warned about foreclosure for my home, so i need this motion or some help from a lawyer STAT.
You have an attorney. NO new attorney is going to take your case.

Im in dire need of a new QUALITY divorce lawyer immedietely. Quality is of utter importance here as ive had 2 subpar lawyers so far. Im asking for anyone who knows A good divorce lawyer in south florida. I reside in broward county if it makes any difference.
I am not so sure that your attorneys are subpar.
i also need advice as to what the lawyers should do. im assuming a motion of some sort to force the fixed dates to pay.
What does your court order state regarding the bills and alimony?

Checkking

divorce is just beginning, i cant work because i have no skills, no degree, and cannot speak english well. its just not realistic finding a job.

court order states a payment of alimony of $1100 (mistakingly said 1500 before) once per month. i need this changed to increase somewhat. 4k per month may be fine. I pay attorneys with loans from my family.

my sons were and are registered (by him) as dependent in income taxes.

i know he bought at least 1 new vehicle (cost of $20000) because i recieved this bill and phone call from the dealer and they named his mistress plus he registered the home. HIS kids are now driving with no insurance and he gets a new car for himself.

ive heard in florida that there is some law that forces payments of bills for up to a year until the divorce is settled. My lawyers even told me they would motion for something like this, and they have yet to act, and whats wrong is that time is extremely important considering home bills need to be paid soon

i also dont understand why you believe no attorney would take it if i already switched attorneys once.

my attorneys told me they would make a motion to make him pay house payments at least. that was over 1.5 months ago, and i believe any other attorney would have been able to do this in a quicker manner. they have basically done nothing to assist which is why i would like to switch lawyers again

does changing lawyers have any importance in court? would this look "bad"?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

divorce is just beginning, i cant work because i have no skills, no degree, and cannot speak english well. its just not realistic finding a job.

court order states a payment of alimony of $1100 (mistakingly said 1500 before) once per month. i need this changed to increase somewhat. 4k per month may be fine. I pay attorneys with loans from my family.

i know he bought at least 1 new vehicle (cost of $20000) because i recieved this bill and phone call from the dealer and they named his mistress plus he registered the home. HIS kids are now driving with no insurance and he gets a new car for himself.
Time for you to learn to stand on your own two feet.

Lots of people with no skills have jobs. Heck, my last boss has no skills and he makes a fortune. :)

In any event, you have a court order for $1,100 in alimony. I don't see any justification for a change. You're just going to have to learn to live on what you can earn plus what you get in alimony. You are absolutely crazy if you think you're going to get $4 K per month. If he's making $100 K per year, that's something like $80-90 K after all the taxes come out (considering that the alimony is probably deductible). You'd be taking well over half of his take home pay.

Your problem is not your attorney - it's your unrealistic expectations. You can't expect your husband to support you at a ridiculous level indefinitely. You are getting divorced - that means you have to move on with your life and learn to live within your means. Get a job. Get some skills. Ask the kids to pay something for having a place to live.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wrong. So you CAN work. You just don't want to. You could work at McDonald's, Walmart, and various other jobs. You will most likely be imputed and income.

court order states a payment of alimony of $1100 (mistakingly said 1500 before) once per month. i need this changed to increase somewhat. 4k per month may be fine.
He earns over 100k (you don't say how much so lets just assume 100k) and you want 4k a month (or 96k a year). That is about what he would bring home after taxes. If not more. It won't happen.

I pay attorneys with loans from my family.
Maybe you should look into moving in with your family.

And so what? They are ADULTS. They are NOT children. Are they JUST your sons or also HIS sons? Being dependent on income taxes is NOT the same as being considered children in divorce.

His children are therefore BREAKING THE LAW and as adults (over the age of 18) they need to pay their own insurance. He registered the home? what do you mean?

ive heard in florida that there is some law that forces payments of bills for up to a year until the divorce is settled.
You heard wrong.

My lawyers even told me they would motion for something like this, and they have yet to act, and whats wrong is that time is extremely important considering home bills need to be paid soon
And what have you done?

i also dont understand why you believe no attorney would take it if i already switched attorneys once.
Because quite frankly you are appearing as though YOU are a PROBLEM client.

my attorneys told me they would make a motion to make him pay house payments at least. that was over 1.5 months ago, and i believe any other attorney would have been able to do this in a quicker manner. they have basically done nothing to assist which is why i would like to switch lawyers again
Was this before or after you were awarded alimony in the amount of $1100 a month?

does changing lawyers have any importance in court? would this look "bad"?
Actually it can look bad. The court has too approve your current attorneys LEAVING the case (withdrawing) and there can come a time when the court will not approve it. You seem to have an inflated sense of entitlement. You need to realize that you are responsible for yourself. How long have you lived in this country? You have been married to him for 23 years so how long have you lived in Florida? In the US? Why can't you work at a minimum wage job in addition to expecting him to support you? You won't get 96k a year -- it won't happen. Not when he makes 100k a year (even 200k a year).

Any child over the age of 18 is an adult. They are responsible for their own car insurance. If they want to drive they can pay the insurance.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Time for you to learn to stand on your own two feet.

Lots of people with no skills have jobs. Heck, my last boss has no skills and he makes a fortune. :)

In any event, you have a court order for $1,100 in alimony. I don't see any justification for a change. You're just going to have to learn to live on what you can earn plus what you get in alimony. You are absolutely crazy if you think you're going to get $4 K per month. If he's making $100 K per year, that's something like $80-90 K after all the taxes come out (considering that the alimony is probably deductible). You'd be taking well over half of his take home pay.

Your problem is not your attorney - it's your unrealistic expectations. You can't expect your husband to support you at a ridiculous level indefinitely. You are getting divorced - that means you have to move on with your life and learn to live within your means. Get a job. Get some skills. Ask the kids to pay something for having a place to live.
Psst... she was asking for more than 8k a month (per her:
need about $4k each time he gets paid (bimonthly).
)

At the minimum she wants 96k. Why? Because that is what she believes she is entitled to. She wants more than his take home pay. If he makes 100k consider taxes taking him down to about 80k. If not lower. Yet she needs $4k each time he gets paid.

mistoffolees

Psst... she was asking for more than 8k a month (per her: )

At the minimum she wants 96k. Why? Because that is what she believes she is entitled to. She wants more than his take home pay. If he makes 100k consider taxes taking him down to about 80k. If not lower. Yet she needs $4k each time he gets paid.
I was referring to her revised demand for $4 K per month. Yes, the initial "$4 K from every paycheck" was absurd, but $4 K per month is slightly less so. (note that if he DID pay her $4 K every other week, he'd actually only have annual taxes of $7,500 (social security taxes) since his net income would be zero after deducting alimony- and there might be credits that would allow him to get something back, as well)

Of course, that's not to say it's unusual for someone to have ridiculously inflated ideas. My ex wife's original demand was for 95% of our assets and about 120% of my take home pay for 10 years - after a 14 year marriage.

Last edited:

Checkking

hows 4k per month sound

sons were both of ours they live with me.

and no i cant speak english well, noone will hire.

"Any child over the age of 18 is an adult. They are responsible for their own car insurance. If they want to drive they can pay the insurance."

what about fulltime students that are dependent in terms of income taxes

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
hows 4k per month sound

sons were both of ours they live with me.

and no i cant speak english well noone will hire

"Any child over the age of 18 is an adult. They are responsible for their own car insurance. If they want to drive they can pay the insurance."

what about fulltime students that are dependent in terms of income taxes
4k sounds absurd quite frankly. YOU are an adult. How long have you been in this country? How can you type in English? How many jobs have you applied for in the past week? Month? Season? Year? What is your primary language?
Full time students are STILL adults. They are legally responsible for themselves and their own decisions. Time for the adults to get a job. All of them. Including you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I was referring to her revised demand for $4 K per month. Yes, the initial "$4 K from every paycheck" was absurd, but $4 K per month is slightly less so. (note that if he DID pay her $4 K every other week, he'd actually only have annual taxes of $7,500 (social security taxes) since his net income would be zero after deducting alimony- and there might be credits that would allow him to get something back, as well)

Of course, that's not to say it's unusual for someone to have ridiculously inflated ideas. My ex wife's original demand was for 95% of our assets and about 120% of my take home pay for 10 years - after a 14 year marriage.
He wouldn't have to pay Social security taxes either because he would have NO INCOME if he paid her 8k per month. He would be working for free -- aka slavery. Your ex wife is an idiot quite frankly -- and no I do not know her.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
he gets like $115,000 per year.
Goody for him. that is because he has a job. YOu still have NOT answered the questions. There is no way you are going to get 8k a month. 4k a month is unlikely. If you were working full time minimum wage (which you most likely were imputed) then you would be getting 4k with the alimony. But you refuse to answer ANY of the questions I have asked and just want him to support you and THE ADULT CHILDREN. Why is that? Why do you feel entitled to being supported forever?

Checkking

Goody for him. that is because he has a job. YOu still have NOT answered the questions. There is no way you are going to get 8k a month. 4k a month is unlikely. If you were working full time minimum wage (which you most likely were imputed) then you would be getting 4k with the alimony. But you refuse to answer ANY of the questions I have asked and just want him to support you and THE ADULT CHILDREN. Why is that? Why do you feel entitled to being supported forever?
im not sure how the years ive been in the country matter to this subject

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">