• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DjunaB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont

I am a PR. My international drivers license has expired and I do not hold a US drivers license. I have asked for my name to be removed from my husbands insurance but they have refused because we are married.

If I am no longer driving, can the insurance company legally require my name to be on the insurance?

We are being charged an exorbitantly high rate because they can't verify my driving record while using an international DL.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont

I am a PR. My international drivers license has expired and I do not hold a US drivers license. I have asked for my name to be removed from my husbands insurance but they have refused because we are married.

If I am no longer driving, can the insurance company legally require my name to be on the insurance?

We are being charged an exorbitantly high rate because they can't verify my driving record while using an international DL.
Sounds to me like they CAN.
Why don't you have a US (PR) License?

Kersplat214

I would cancel your current policy and have your husband obtain insurance from another company.

I recently purchased insurance on my car, and though I live in a different state than you, when I told the insurance agent that my husband did not drive the vehicle I wanted to insure, and also did not share ownership in the vehicle, he said that if such was the case he could proceed with obaining the insurance in my name only.

I don't know much about Vermont's laws, but in states where I've lived you did not have to insure people who did not drive your vehicle. Is your name on the title to the vehicle, and/or are you named on the finance agreement as an owner? This may be why the insurance company mandates having you on the insurance policy.

tammy8

Most states consider spouses one and the same. So if you are not legally licensed you are considered higher risk. Go on and get your license. It does not matter if you are driving or not. What is the big deal in going on and getting legal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">