• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is my non consimated marrage legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stuckgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state.
i foolishly married a man while he was incarcerated hoping it would help release him, unfortunately it didnt work and he is now serving 8years in prison. our marrage was never consumated and i do not wish to be married to a man serving that amount of time for the type of crime hes in for. Is our marrage even legal do i need a divorce or an annulment?

mistoffolees

You don't seem to meet any of the grounds for annulment (unless he's your first cousin or you are under 17), so you need a divorce:
Washington Annulment and Prohibited Marriage Laws - WA Annulment and Prohibited Marriage Laws - State Laws, Codes

Even if you could prove annulment, divorce is usually cheaper and easier - and several references imply that this is especially true in WA.

Your problem is going to be that your husband is going to be entitled to 1/2 of marital assets - so anything you've accumulated in the past 8 years is half his.

Trying to trick the legal system is not usually a good idea.

Last edited:

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state.
i foolishly married a man while he was incarcerated hoping it would help release him, unfortunately it didnt work and he is now serving 8years in prison. our marrage was never consumated and i do not wish to be married to a man serving that amount of time for the type of crime hes in for. Is our marrage even legal do i need a divorce or an annulment?
What crime was he convicted of?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">