• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Readiness calendar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvs2laf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I am heading to trial for a divorce and have readiness calendar coming up. I have decided not to fight for anything other than the tax debt that was accrued during the first year of the marriage $7000. I have tried to settle with my ex's attorney but to no avail. Now I think my ex is trying to make my life hard as I do not have an attorney. He is already been re married and I have already paid approximately $5000 in fines. Can I ask the judge to make a decision before trial? What is a Pre Trial Conference? Will that work for me?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I am heading to trial for a divorce and have readiness calendar coming up. I have decided not to fight for anything other than the tax debt that was accrued during the first year of the marriage $7000. I have tried to settle with my ex's attorney but to no avail. Now I think my ex is trying to make my life hard as I do not have an attorney. He is already been re married and I have already paid approximately $5000 in fines. Can I ask the judge to make a decision before trial? What is a Pre Trial Conference? Will that work for me?
You really need an attorney.

Your ex has committed bigamy if he is remarried before you are divorced. That gives you an enormous amount of leverage to get a reasonable settlement. If you're not able to get it yourself, hire an attorney to do so.

luvs2laf

I brought up that fact to the judge and they just stated that we were divorced after a certain date. I have spent thousands with an attorney to go after him for alimony and furniture. I just want him to be responsible for his taxes as I paid mine during that year but he was contracted and in turn used my taxes paid as partial payment. Now I am paying every month as he refuses to pay anything.

mistoffolees

I brought up that fact to the judge and they just stated that we were divorced after a certain date. I have spent thousands with an attorney to go after him for alimony and furniture. I just want him to be responsible for his taxes as I paid mine during that year but he was contracted and in turn used my taxes paid as partial payment. Now I am paying every month as he refuses to pay anything.
So you ARE divorced. That's not what you said earlier.

Again, get an attorney. If you don't even know whether you're divorced or not, you need a professional.

luvs2laf

Your hilarious. I am going to divorce trial as we can not agree, he wants me to penalize me as I am the 1st wife out of 5 now that took him to court. The divorce was pushed back as he got remarried but the issues still need to be settled. So I know I am divorced. I may be guilty for not making the smartest decision by marring him but I am trying to do the right thing as I can not afford an attorney.

Believe me it would be easier for me to walk away but I will be screwed for many years if I dont at least try.

Maybe you lost site of the question: I am asking for advice as to what I can do at the readiness calendar.

mistoffolees

Your hilarious. I am going to divorce trial as we can not agree, he wants me to penalize me as I am the 1st wife out of 5 now that took him to court. The divorce was pushed back as he got remarried but the issues still need to be settled. So I know I am divorced. I may be guilty for not making the smartest decision by marring him but I am trying to do the right thing as I can not afford an attorney.

Believe me it would be easier for me to walk away but I will be screwed for many years if I dont at least try.

Maybe you lost site of the question: I am asking for advice as to what I can do at the readiness calendar.
Simple question since your story is all over the map. Do you have a final divorce or not?
(if not, your husband is guilty of bigamy. If you DO have a final divorce, you're not going to a divorce trial, you're going to a property division hearing).

As for the last question - I already answered it. You need a lawyer to help you since you clearly don't understand the issues involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">