• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deferred MIP --- University of Michigan URGENT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlandisN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

Have you ever been convicted of a criminial offense, or found to be delinquent by a juvenile court, or are there any such charges pending against you at this time? If yes, you must submit a detailed statement of explanation on a separate sheet of paper. Mail your statement to the Office of Admissions and Orientation.

How do I answer this if I am currently in a deferred MIP program and am 17? I have not been convicted, the court wasn't a juvenile court, and the charges against me are not pending as far as I know; they will be dismissed in April after 6 months of probation is complete.

I asked a relatively experienced friend, and she told me to say no, as it would flag my account. It's either I say No now, or wait til April and say no. It would be very beneficial to apply now. The application is otherwise done and due tomorrow. Suggestions?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

quincy

Charges ARE pending - pending your successful completion of the diversion program.

My advice is to say either yes, with an explanation, and expect your application to be flagged - but at least you are honestly responding to the question asked - or wait until you successfully complete probation to send in your application, when your MIP is discharged and dismissed. Then you can honestly answer no.

If you get caught drinking again before the end of your probation or violate in some other way the terms of your probation, your MIP can be entered by the court (because you had to plead guilty to it to be offered the diversion program) and you will have a misdemeanor on your record. Should that happen, and you choose to answer "no" on the application that you send in now, your application will most certainly get tossed or any early acceptance rescinded.

Last edited:

AlandisN

If I don't get caught again, which I won't since I don't drink anymore, will it be safe to say "No" for the time being? Or will the pending charges show up when they check my application?

quincy

I do not advise lying on your application.

Your MIP arrest may show up on a check.

Why don't you make an anonymous call tomorrow to U of M admissions and ask what they recommend? I imagine they will tell you to tell the truth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">