• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conservator reluctant to terminate the Conservatorship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Conservatee

State: Arizona

Hi,

Recently I turned the age of 18 and was planning on terminating the conservatorship between me and my father (me as the conservatee, him as the conservator).

However, while filling out the form for termination, I asked the conservator how much was currently in the account (because it is a required field of information for filing), but he declined to tell me, and said he would not agree to terminate the conservatorship. However, from what Ive read in numerous places, he has a LEGAL DUTY to terminate the conservatorship upon my reaching the age of 18.

I do know the financial institution where the account resides. Although it is restricted, am I still able to call up the institution to inquire about the account? Or is there another way to get the conservator to talk?

This entire ordeal has been a nightmare due to the fact that the conservator has been reluctant to inform me of anything. I actually had to go and email the attorney that handled the case in 1995 to even find out that it was a Conservatorship.

Thanks

BlondiePB

State: Arizona

Hi,

Recently I turned the age of 18 and was planning on terminating the conservatorship between me and my father (me as the conservatee, him as the conservator).

However, while filling out the form for termination, I asked the conservator how much was currently in the account (because it is a required field of information for filing), but he declined to tell me, and said he would not agree to terminate the conservatorship. However, from what Ive read in numerous places, he has a LEGAL DUTY to terminate the conservatorship upon my reaching the age of 18.

I do know the financial institution where the account resides. Although it is restricted, am I still able to call up the institution to inquire about the account?
It may be difficult for you to obtain info about the restricted account, especially by telephone.

Or is there another way to get the conservator to talk?
See an attorney.
This entire ordeal has been a nightmare due to the fact that the conservator has been reluctant to inform me of anything. I actually had to go and email the attorney that handled the case in 1995 to even find out that it was a Conservatorship.
Go down to the courthouse and look at your file. Though you can ask the nice court clerks a few questions, they are not allowed to provide you with legal advice but certainly are able to point you in the right direction.

Dad was required to file an annual accounting with the court. Those reports should be in your file.

Conservatee

Im actually living out of state at the moment. Should I be able to request my file through request by phone or mail?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">