• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Needed? What about Debts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrs Sully

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My mother died in NJ in Oct of this year with a will (I am the only beneficiary). My uncle is the named executor of the will.
Mom lived with me in my house. She had no property assets besides her personal belongings. She had a bank account of which I was a joint owner and, according to the bank, the money transfers to me upon her death. She had a pension plan that transfers to me on death and life insurance, of which I'm the sole beneficiary. However, she has medical bills, credit card debt and back federal income taxes that she owes.

Is there an estate and do we have to probate the will? I'm thinking there is no estate because it all passed to me. Can we prove that to the creditors without probating?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">