• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anyway possible to contact the insurance of the driver that hit me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dantekennet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

Here's the deal I was walking to the store last month when a car came from behind and hit me, Paramedics and Police arrived a at the scene 5 or so minutes later. So after taking the statement the paramedics took me to the hospital where i stayed no more than 24 hour luckily I didn't have any broken bones or fractures at all, but the thing is I haven't being able to go back to work since the day of the accident which has been more than a month because my leg still hurts quite a bit when I put too much pressure on, So now that i got the accident report everything is on my favor, Apparently the woman that hit me violated the pedestrian right of way code and all of the witnesses statements were on my favor, so here's the real deal. I've been contacting several lawyers trying to figure out who's going to take care of my bills such as hospital bills ambulance bills most important of all my out of work pay but every lawyer I've contacted is telling me that it might take anywhere from one year to two years and that's my dilemma I don't want too long. I think lawyers are trying to get ridiculous amounts of money out of the insurance and that's why they're telling me that it will take that long but the truth of the matter is that I only really need two months out of work and my bills which accumulates to close to $7000 so i was wondering if there's any way to possible i can contact the insurance of the car that hit me and settle the case myself, I mean after all it will be much less money for the insurance and easier for me.
Also, I am a private contractor that works for a paving company so I get paid by check so what should i do once i contact the insurance company what should i say and what kinda paper work should they give me ?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The driver's insurance information will be on the police report. Have you called the driver's insurance company at all?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

Here's the deal I was walking to the store last month when a car came from behind and hit me, Paramedics and Police arrived a at the scene 5 or so minutes later. So after taking the statement the paramedics took me to the hospital where i stayed no more than 24 hour luckily I didn't have any broken bones or fractures at all, but the thing is I haven't being able to go back to work since the day of the accident which has been more than a month because my leg still hurts quite a bit when I put too much pressure on, So now that i got the accident report everything is on my favor, Apparently the woman that hit me violated the pedestrian right of way code and all of the witnesses statements were on my favor, so here's the real deal. I've been contacting several lawyers trying to figure out who's going to take care of my bills such as hospital bills ambulance bills most important of all my out of work pay but every lawyer I've contacted is telling me that it might take anywhere from one year to two years and that's my dilemma I don't want too long. I think lawyers are trying to get ridiculous amounts of money out of the insurance and that's why they're telling me that it will take that long but the truth of the matter is that I only really need two months out of work and my bills which accumulates to close to $7000 so i was wondering if there's any way to possible i can contact the insurance of the car that hit me and settle the case myself, I mean after all it will be much less money for the insurance and easier for me.
Also, I am a private contractor that works for a paving company so I get paid by check so what should i do once i contact the insurance company what should i say and what kinda paper work should they give me ?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Just call the insurance company and explain the situation. I am sure there is an open claim for the accident already since it was reported.

They will explain to you what you need to do. Of course, having an attorney on your side will help you get the most out of the situation since the insurance company will try to minimize their costs, but you can go the attorney route if you're not happy with what the insurance company tells you.

dantekennet

Ok Thank you but another question dealing with the insurance will processes things faster instead of dealing with the attorney that i know it will take years?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Since it appears that the motorist was very wrong, the insurance company might be quicker to settle the case.

The attorneys you consulted with were probably giving you a worst case scenario and assuming that they would go via the route of a lawsuit. That all takes time.

Speak to the insurance company first and see what you can find out. If a proposed settlement is suitable for you and covers all of your costs and expenses you might want to take it. Of course, again, an attorney can help you get the most out of this. Only you can decide what you will ultimately do.

The other factor to consider is does the motorist have enough coverage to satisfy your expenses? If not then you might have to take action beyond whatever your insurance settlement is.

ecmst12

It will be faster for you to settle yourself but you do NOT want to start the settlement process until you have recovered completely and are back at work and feeling better. As long as you are still being treated, you can't settle.

Now, you do have a doctor's order to stay out of work, right? This wasn't just you deciding you didn't feel good enough for work? And you've been receiving regular treatment for your injury, and you have a formal diagnosis?

dantekennet

Alright Thank you but once I recover what will happen if the insurance doesn't want to pay me the amount of money I deserve, i mean i know i have to hire a lawyer but by then I will recover can still the lawyer do something about it?? because I know the lawyer will want his 33.3% but how much money will be left me for me :(?

Last edited:

dantekennet

Do you think a lawyer can do something to get me a better amount of money that will cover my hospital bills as well as the fees i have to pay him ?

Last edited:

ecmst12

Honestly, if your posts here are representative of your ability to communicate (if english is not your first language or you are just that bad at expressing yourself in writing) then you should definitely get a lawyer because you will NOT be equipped to competently negotiate with the adjuster. It will take longer with a lawyer but better slow and correct then fast and wrong.

ecmst12

Since I have no idea what your injuries are or how serious they were or how well you have been keeping up with your treatment, I can't answer that. But this is a question you need to ask the lawyers you interview before deciding which one to hire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">