• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QueenEleanor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

In April, I drove a rental car into a parking lot sign in a restaurant in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I showed the restaurant manager who said it was a common occurence and did not ask for any more information. I then contacted my insurance who began the claim process. I then contacted the person who rented the car whom I was splitting the rental expense with. The renter had left the state.

Both the renter and I live in Texas.

As naive as this sounds, it was not until I reviewed the contract that I realized I was not listed as an additional driver. The renter had rented the car, drove it into the airport parking lot, left the keys under the mat and left the door unlocked. An additional friend was driving the car, who let me borrow the keys. Only the original renter was listed on the contract.

In August, I received a letter from my insurance company that the rental company was not pursuing the claim.

In November, the original renter received a letter from the rental company, asking for a an accident report. I filled this out for the second time (the first time being in April, at the rental car counter). The rental car company then informed the renter that she had breached her contract because I was not listed as an additional driver. My insurance company will not pay the $1100 damages to the car because the original renter is held responsible for these charges and she is the primary insured.

I have told the original renter that I would settle with her once I get a receipt from her showing she has settled with the rental car. She has refused, saying she did not need to give me a receipt. She then tried to bargain with me, asking if I would write her a check if she gave me her credit card number. I still confirmed that I needed to have a receipt before writing a check to her. She asked me if I would put in writing that I would pay, and I said was not going to put that in writing. She then asked how she knew I would pay, and I told her she would just have to trust me. She then asked me if I would take responsibility for the accident. I told her I would not, because responsibility has already been determined by the rental company.

She then said that I was being immature and I would have to call her lawyer and take me to small claims. I confirmed this was a choice.

I will still settle with her if I get a receipt, even though, legally, I have no obligation to do so. I certainly want to do the right thing, and I also want to be sure that I do not get caught in a web; her disregard for her contract concerns me.

I need to know if these are the correct steps in the procedure. Thank you for your time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Boy, you really are some friend, aren't you. I mean - you crash your friend's rented car and then play games when she needs to get reimbursed for her expenses.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

In April, I drove a rental car into a parking lot sign in a restaurant in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I showed the restaurant manager who said it was a common occurence and did not ask for any more information. I then contacted my insurance who began the claim process. I then contacted the person who rented the car whom I was splitting the rental expense with. The renter had left the state.

Both the renter and I live in Texas.

As naive as this sounds, it was not until I reviewed the contract that I realized I was not listed as an additional driver. The renter had rented the car, drove it into the airport parking lot, left the keys under the mat and left the door unlocked. An additional friend was driving the car, who let me borrow the keys. Only the original renter was listed on the contract.

In August, I received a letter from my insurance company that the rental company was not pursuing the claim.

In November, the original renter received a letter from the rental company, asking for a an accident report. I filled this out for the second time (the first time being in April, at the rental car counter). The rental car company then informed the renter that she had breached her contract because I was not listed as an additional driver. My insurance company will not pay the $1100 damages to the car because the original renter is held responsible for these charges and she is the primary insured.

I have told the original renter that I would settle with her once I get a receipt from her showing she has settled with the rental car. She has refused, saying she did not need to give me a receipt. She then tried to bargain with me, asking if I would write her a check if she gave me her credit card number. I still confirmed that I needed to have a receipt before writing a check to her. She asked me if I would put in writing that I would pay, and I said was not going to put that in writing. She then asked how she knew I would pay, and I told her she would just have to trust me. She then asked me if I would take responsibility for the accident. I told her I would not, because responsibility has already been determined by the rental company.

She then said that I was being immature and I would have to call her lawyer and take me to small claims. I confirmed this was a choice.

I will still settle with her if I get a receipt, even though, legally, I have no obligation to do so. I certainly want to do the right thing, and I also want to be sure that I do not get caught in a web; her disregard for her contract concerns me.

I need to know if these are the correct steps in the procedure. Thank you for your time.

Zigner

She has not paid the rental company. That is why I am cautious. I can't reimburse her if she hasn't paid.
Frankly, it's none of your business whether she's paid them or not. That's a matter between her and the rental company. She is responsible to the rental company for $1,100 based on YOUR negligence.

ETA: Perhaps she hasn't been able to pay them because her wonderful friend is playing games.

Zigner

I doubt that is why. She is a president of a corporate realty company. She writes and oversees contracts.

Awaiting your wit and wisdom from all.
One more time. You are obligated to pay her for the damages YOU caused. You have no "right" to see a receipt saying she paid out anything.

I agree with you on one thing though. Your friend should take you to court.

QueenEleanor

One more time. You are obligated to pay her for the damages YOU caused. You have no "right" to see a receipt saying she paid out anything.

I agree with you on one thing though. Your friend should take you to court.
Spoke with a law office regarding the above. Lawyer says that I could file with the renter’s insurance. He also said that asking for a receipt should not be a problem, in fact, if she did take my money and didn’t pay the rental company, I still would be vulnerable to a future insurance claim. He also pointed out that if the rental was a corporate rental, her company would be involved in any lawsuit she chooses to bring to me. He also said my insurance should cover any collision I am involved in, of course, I would need to contact her insurance company to do that. I should not sign anything that says I am liable. He also said that if she were to come to him for representation he would advise that her legal fees would equal the $1100 she is suing for and it seems that she is not suing for money but for spite.

Zigner, thank you for inspiring me to talk to a lawyer directly.

Actually, she is not a friend, never really was.

ecmst12

You can pay or wait for her to sue you, your choice.

It's of no consequence to you whether she pays the rental company or not - they won't be coming after YOU and can't affect your credit since you had no contract with them; it is in her and only her best interest to pay them.

However she may file the claim with HER insurance company, who will most likely cover the damage if she has full coverage on any vehicle on her policy, and she would only be responsible for her deductible. If she does that, her insurance company will contact YOU to find out what happened, so you should know about that. If she does that, you'd only be responsible to pay her deductible. Her insurance company wouldn't be able to come after you for the rest because you'd be considered an "insured" for the purposes of this claim.

QueenEleanor

However she may file the claim with HER insurance company, who will most likely cover the damage if she has full coverage on any vehicle on her policy, and she would only be responsible for her deductible. If she does that, her insurance company will contact YOU to find out what happened, so you should know about that. If she does that, you'd only be responsible to pay her deductible. Her insurance company wouldn't be able to come after you for the rest because you'd be considered an "insured" for the purposes of this claim.
EMST, thank you for your input. I contacted my insurance company and they said the appropriate thing for her is to file insurance. I completely agree. If she does sue me, my insurance company will provide an attorney to represent me.

I must be missing something here. The OP damaged the car. The OP owes the owner for the damages. The owner has a contractual relationship with the friend and is seeking reimbursement for the damages from the friend. Until the friend PAYS the insurance company and can claim some type of subrogation of the damages, friend has no rights to damages from the OP OR the power to forgive or settle the claim.

If the OP pays friend and friend has not paid the owner, can't the owner still go after the OP? Later on the OP can go after the friend to get the money back, but, what a hassle. I think a "receipt" or some other representation the owner's claim has been settled (and rights transferred to friend) is entirely appropriate before OP pays the friend.

QueenEleanor

If the OP pays friend and friend has not paid the owner, can't the owner still go after the OP? Later on the OP can go after the friend to get the money back, but, what a hassle. I think a "receipt" or some other representation the owner's claim has been settled (and rights transferred to friend) is entirely appropriate before OP pays the friend.
My insurance company told me that if the original renter does not have insurance, the rent a car service may then collect from my insurance. I have filed an accident report with the rental company and they have my policy number and claim number.

ecmst12

The rental company CAN pursue both of them but it's much more likely they'll go after the one they had the contract with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">