• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony due/ Colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladyeq3853

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Colorado
I am a woman and have been married for 20 years. (together for 27 years) I am currently unemployed. I will be filing for divorce in January. How much alimony can I expect and for how long? I will be 57 in March.
Thanks!

Silverplum

I am a woman and have been married for 20 years. (together for 27 years) I am currently unemployed. I will be filing for divorce in January. How much alimony can I expect and for how long? I will be 57 in March.
Thanks!
We don't do estimates here.

You might want to try for a free consultation with a local attorney: check the yellow pages, and those who offer free initial consults say so in their ads.

Bali Hai

Thanks!
When do you expect to become re-employed and for how long?

nextwife

Presumably he's ALSO been married for 20 years? If he became involuntarilly unemployed, how much alimony would you expect to pay him? Presumably he is also age 57 or so?

LdiJ

Thanks!
Your question simply cannot be answered without a whole lot more information.

Alimony is a function of income, income differentials, employability, retirement assets, social security credits and proximity to retirement. The division of marital assets factors in as well.

If you are unemployed, but employable, and your husband makes 28k a year you may not get any alimony at all, despite the length of your marriage. You husband doesn't earn enough to support two households.

If you are unemployed, but employable at a somewhat low income, and your husband has a medium high income, but you have amassed solid social security credits you might get some alimony until your full retirement age.

If you are unemployed because you are disabled, and your husband makes 200k a year, you are likely to get some permanent alimony....UNLESS you receive enough marital assets that you can receive enough income from those assets to sustain you.

These are all examples to let you understand that there really is no set formula or set period of time to receive alimony. You need to consult a local attorney with as much financial information as possible in hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">