• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce...how simple?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WeeMan

UTAH.....

My girlfriend wants a divorce from her husband. They have been separated for over two years. I have been living with her for a year or so...we have a baby together.

Is it as easy as going to the court house and filing? There is no property dispute. They do have children, and there will be a custody battle. Can the actual divorce be handled separately from the custody battle? He will probably contest the divorce, because he is still inlove with her. I want her to get a divorce...as a first step in proving her commitment to me.

What should I/we do?

Isis1

UTAH.....

My girlfriend wants a divorce from her husband. They have been separated for over two years. I have been living with her for a year or so...we have a baby together.

Is it as easy as going to the court house and filing? There is no property dispute. They do have children, and there will be a custody battle. Can the actual divorce be handled separately from the custody battle? He will probably contest the divorce, because he is still inlove with her. I want her to get a divorce...as a first step in proving her commitment to me.

What should I/we do?

like charlotte said.....

If she wants a divorce, she doesn't need his cooperation.

I've edited a lot of this for brevity, but the entire statute can be reviewed here:
Utah Code -- Statutes and Constitution

Look for Title 30--Husband and Wife, and then open the subfolders.

Utah Statute 30-3-1. Procedure -- Residence -- Grounds.

(1) Proceedings in divorce are commenced and conducted as provided by law for proceedings in civil causes, except as provided in this chapter.

(2) The court may decree a dissolution of the marriage contract between the petitioner and respondent on the grounds specified in Subsection (3)...

(h) irreconcilable differences of the marriage; or
(j) when the husband and wife have lived separately under a decree of separate maintenance of any state for three consecutive years without cohabitation.

Note that (j) is "or", not "and"--the three year separation doesn't appear to be a requirement.

If there are minor children involved, once the petition for divorce is filed, the petitioner must attend a one hour "divorce orientation course" within 60 days of the petition. The respondant must attend that same course within 30 days.

(5) The divorce orientation course shall be neutral, unbiased, at least one hour in duration, and include:
(a) options available as alternatives to divorce;
(b) resources available from courts and administrative agencies for resolving custody and support issues without filing for divorce;
(c) resources available to improve or strengthen the marriage;
(d) a discussion of the positive and negative consequences of divorce;
(e) a discussion of the process of divorce;
(f) options available for proceeding with a divorce, including mediation, collaborative law, litigation, and a discussion of post-divorce resources.

The cost of the course is a maximum of $20, but that can be waived is any participant is unable to pay. The fees fund the Children's Legal Defense Account.

Utah also has an Online Court Assistance Program which provides instructions and the forms required to petition for divorce.

Utah Divorce, Landlord Tenant, Guardianship of a Minor, and Protective Order forms - Online Court Assistance Program

Proserpina

UTAH.....

What should I/we do?
Oh god, she actually told you that?!

mistoffolees

I want her to get a divorce...as a first step in proving her commitment to me.
You've been living with this woman for a year and have a child together, but a divorce from her husband will be the first step in proving her commitment to you?

Wow. Just wow.

Isis1

You've been living with this woman for a year and have a child together, but a divorce from her husband will be the first step in proving her commitment to you?

Wow. Just wow.
oh crud. i totally missed that part. OP, you don't have a child. her and her husband have a baby.

man, you better do something for yourself and QUICK!

TinkerBelleLuvr

Instead of spending money for HER attorney, I suggest that YOU get an attorney. This is a major tangled up mess because LEGALLY, her HUSBAND is the legal father or YOUR child.

Proserpina

oh crud. i totally missed that part. OP, you don't have a child. her and her husband have a baby.

man, you better do something for yourself and QUICK!
If ever there was the need for a "bang head against wall" emoticon..it'd be right about now.

OP, you don't have a baby together. She has a baby with her legal husband. This is such a mess - without the other matter even coming into play. Seriously, get yourself an attorney. You need to have your paternity established.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">