• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executrix & owing back taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duhmann2001

What is the name of your state pennsylvania

I owe back federal & state taxes because my husband was self employed for most of the time we were married. I stupidly still filed married filing jointly even after I had my own income from employment. I have been separated since 2008. My mother just recently died & i was named executrix my question is: can the irs take her monies to pay my back taxes? & could i step aside & let my daughter be the executrix to prevent that.

anteater

No, just because you are the estate's Personal Representative, the IRS does not have a claim against the estate's assets.

If the IRS has a valid lien against your property and right to property, they might make a claim against what you would receive as a beneficiary (if you are receiving anything as a beneficiary). I don't really know the mechanics of how the IRS works. Maybe one of the tax experts here can comment on that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">