• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trial separation in TEXAS, Negative Effects??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commsupplyxx

Texas...

My wife has asked me to move out of our house in hopes that we can reconnect and that she can try and find a love for us to continue to be married. She says she has been "emotionally detached" for about a year and has just now been able to make me aware of this. This has come as a complete shock to me. She says that me moving out and giving her space is what she needs to try and reconnect with me. She wants to "date me" again to try and find her lost love for me. If this doesn't work and we end up getting a divorce anyway, will me moving out of the house instead of telling her to leave have any sort of negative effect on me in the future as far as legal stuff is concerned? We do have a 7 year old child.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Texas...

My wife has asked me to move out of our house in hopes that we can reconnect and that she can try and find a love for us to continue to be married. She says she has been "emotionally detached" for about a year and has just now been able to make me aware of this. This has come as a complete shock to me. She says that me moving out and giving her space is what she needs to try and reconnect with me. She wants to "date me" again to try and find her lost love for me. If this doesn't work and we end up getting a divorce anyway, will me moving out of the house instead of telling her to leave have any sort of negative effect on me in the future as far as legal stuff is concerned? We do have a 7 year old child.
Yes. If you move out of the house, you immediately become at a disadvantage with respect to custody determination when the time comes. In general, it's not a good idea to move out without a court order or an agreement to have 50:50 custody in the interim.

I'd suggest moving into the spare bedroom (or the basement, couch, whatever) instead to see what happens. She can 'date' you just as well if you're in the same house - and it won't have an impact on custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">