• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Spouse Evict me from rented house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sirdouglasb12

Brainerd, MN

My wife and I currently rent a house from her parents. She has told me that she wants me to be moved out in just days. Can she force me out of this house, or do the landlords (her parents) evict me?

Additionally, the rental is done as an oral month to month agreement and is renting to our entire family. Can the landlords evict only me, or do they have to evict the entire family?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

Brainerd, MN

My wife and I currently rent a house from her parents. She has told me that she wants me to be moved out in just days. Can she force me out of this house, or do the landlords (her parents) evict me?

Additionally, the rental is done as an oral month to month agreement and is renting to our entire family. Can the landlords evict only me, or do they have to evict the entire family?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Who exactly is on the lease?

mistoffolees

He said it was "oral". I think that indicates that there is no written lease at all. Therefore its quite likely that they can evict just him.
If 'they' means the parents, that MIGHT be true (although eviction proceedings do take some time).

The wife certainly can not do so.

LdiJ

If 'they' means the parents, that MIGHT be true (although eviction proceedings do take some time).

The wife certainly can not do so.
Yes, "they" means the parents.

The bottom line is that if they are going to get divorced, he isn't going to be able to stay there. One way or another, he is going to be out. That is the potential downside of living in family owned property.

Sirdouglasb12

I am the original poster - I should have added that I understand that I will not be able to stay in this house forever - I just want to be sure that I have adequate time to pack all of my stuff and come to terms with my wife about how we are going to split up belongings. Its much easier to do that while I am still in the house. I figure that if I'm not given a written notice of eviction prior to December 31, I will have until the end of February to actually be out, which should allow for enough time to make all the necessary arrangements.

Banned_Princess

I am the original poster - I should have added that I understand that I will not be able to stay in this house forever - I just want to be sure that I have adequate time to pack all of my stuff and come to terms with my wife about how we are going to split up belongings. Its much easier to do that while I am still in the house. I figure that if I'm not given a written notice of eviction prior to December 31, I will have until the end of February to actually be out, which should allow for enough time to make all the necessary arrangements.
You will, evictions have a process, they need to serve you with 30 day notice, then they need to bring you to court if you dont comply.

No way can anyone tell you you have a week. (except the judge in the eviction preceeding)

Cheers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">