• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alleged salary overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FlyinHawn

hawaii- i worked for the state of hawaii temporarily (the union says that they can't help me) ending employment in may 1993. i received a letter yesterday claiming that i was overpaid almost a thousand dollars! it went on to demand that i pay this amount by april 6 or i will be responsible for all legal fees and 10% interest penalty per year if it goes to court (hawaii revised statues sect. 657-1.5). i do not have money for an atty or to pay this amt. they did not offer any proof, but admitted that the error may not have been any fault of my own, but i still need to pay. i called and basically was told 'that's the law'. don't they have to prove the claim? how do i know they have not errored? what recourse do i have? aloha & thank u.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">