• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Half-half

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heni76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I'm hungarian with green card, my husband got his american citizenship 2 years ago (originally he's hungarian, too). We got married 8 years ago in Hungary. We renewed our vow in Las vegas 4 years ago (if it matters). He is accounting manager, I'm housekeeper. We do not have child. Who should file a divorce and where? What if I don't want this divorce? What are my rights?

mistoffolees

I'm hungarian with green card, my husband got his american citizenship 2 years ago (originally he's hungarian, too). We got married 8 years ago in Hungary. We renewed our vow in Las vegas 4 years ago (if it matters). He is accounting manager, I'm housekeeper. We do not have child. Who should file a divorce and where? What if I don't want this divorce? What are my rights?
The divorce has to be filed wherever one of you meets the residency requirements. For example, in Oregon, it is: Divorce Support - Oregon Divorce Residency Requirements

Essentially, if either one of you has lived there continuously for 6 months prior to filing.

Whether you want a divorce is largely irrelevant. You can delay it, but you can not prevent it. If your spouse wants a divorce, he will eventually get it. At best, you can delay it, but that only increases the costs for both of you and makes it less likely that you will be able to agree to the terms of the divorce.

Proserpina

Did your husband sponsor your green-card?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">