• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

John Manville Trust Question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

On a side note to this previous thread of mine: https://forum.freeadvice.com/medical-health-care-malpractice-72/medical-malpractice-wrongful-death-lawsuit-480889-p4.html

It looks like we're gonna get some compensation after all. Our dad was drawing a check about every 4-6 months before his death for asbestos related problems. This was due to his job for over 33 years. It was never stated that the cancer was directly related to this asbestos but he went to Illinois for testing of the asbestos a couple years before death.

From that testing he started getting a check for this problem. I think he had drawn about 4-5 of these checks up until his death.

Well, we were contacted by phone last week by his attorney for this matter. We had only received postage & email communication in the past. We(my dad really) have won a class action lawsuit against the John Manville trust fund. We have several more pending in the coming weeks & months.

This isn't really compensation to us because we lost our dad but he always stated to us that if we can prove his asbestos would have any part in his future death to pursue it.

The attorney told us that we will win quite a bit more money before it's all over. All of these involve class action lawsuits & we receive a percentage(7.5% on this particular one) for each case won. He couldn't give us an estimated figure in the end because so many are still pending but his words were you could be receiving a lot of money before it's all said & done.

That's a small compensation in contrast to our dad no longer being with us. He could've used this money while here on Earth. Well, we can look at it now from what he told us & that's to pursue it & let us have the money from it even though we don't really need it like some families might.

Anybody with any experience as to how long all this plays out? We have several "pending" so anybody with any experience on this matter then please let me know. This wasn't discussed any further with the attorney on the phone. BTW, this attorney is based in Knoxville but we live about 90 miles away. We had communicated via postage mail & email contact only up until the recent phonecall. Thanks guys! :)

I worked with an atty doing pltfs asbestos litigation eons ago - late 80's early 90's.

The only thing I can say is that you are dealing with multiple companies and each has their own trust and timelines. I did this work for 5-7 years, and some of the cases that were beginning to pay when I started were still getting payouts when I left. It can be a long process, although I would assume by now the defendants have streamlined their processes somewhat.

I'm sorry you lost your dad. I never met any of the men who got sick, just their families.

Thanks for the information. This will be our first payout but our dad already had received 3-4 small checks I believe before his death.

My dad was too stubborn though to report his cancer to the appropriate places like this one attorney. He was drawing
small checks based solely on a test for asbestos that was done long before he got word of his cancer.

We were told by this attorney that if had relayed his cancer information while still alive then possibly his checks could've been bigger plus more money in return.

Now, we as his family will receive that money over time like you said. I just wasn't clear as to how long this may all play out. I just know we were told by the attorney that we could receive quite a bit of money before it's all said & done. Thanks again for giving me some information about this. :)

Well, we finally got our first payout from this trust fund. However, it doesn't make up for our loss. We do have more coming in the future. Interesting how this works. It takes time to get your money just for one claim.

My Dad was receiving small checks before his death for asbestos related problems. However, since his death is now considered to be a result of cancer the asbestos payouts have went up. That's truly sad because my Dad isn't here now to get that money but he wanted us to have it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">