• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power tools: are they allowed on Saturday, or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alex23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
This is from my municipal code:
Heavy equipment and power tools are restricted to weekdays between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Owner/occupant builders are exempt from the time and heavy equipment and power tools restrictions on Saturdays between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
That's pretty clear, however I need to know how that relates to this code:
F. Noise arising from residential activities. Certain types of activities and noise sources associated with residential living, although not considered acceptable by most residential inhabitants, are, nevertheless, tolerated. It is the purpose of this section to allow these noise sources to persist, however, at controlled noise levels and at specified times. The general noise limits of Table A-2 and the specified adjustments of subsection B of Section 7.16. apply to the noise sources listed in Table A-4 below, except during the time periods specified. The higher noise limits listed in Table A-4 are allowed only between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on weekdays and between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on Saturdays, and on Sundays and legal holidays as designated in Table A-4.
Table A.4
Noise Source Type___________Noise Levels (dBA)_____Sundays and Legal Holidays
Power garden equipment____________80________________45/50 night/day
My question relates to use of garden power tools. They appear to be 'residential living noises' and are tolerated at a higher level and for a longer duration than construction noise. What I can't figure out is whether the first code (power tools M-F only/Sat for homeowners) has any bearing on the second code (gardening equipment/higher noise limits).

The guys at my neighbors' house who spent all day Saturday with their chainsaws cutting down his trees made a lot of noise, more than the construction that we get around here. Are they required to conform to the second code only, or are they subject to the first one (no power tools on weekends/ homeowners on Saturday)?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
This is from my municipal code:
That's pretty clear, however I need to know how that relates to this code:
My question relates to use of garden power tools. They appear to be 'residential living noises' and are tolerated at a higher level and for a longer duration than construction noise. What I can't figure out is whether the first code (power tools M-F only/Sat for homeowners) has any bearing on the second code (gardening equipment/higher noise limits).

The guys at my neighbors' house who spent all day Saturday with their chainsaws cutting down his trees made a lot of noise, more than the construction that we get around here. Are they required to conform to the second code only, or are they subject to the first one (no power tools on weekends/ homeowners on Saturday)?
Are they done chainsawing?

Country Living

It would have been a neighborly thing to do to walk over with a pair of work gloves and offer to help. He would have finished his task faster and you would have built a better relationship with the guy.

TigerD

It would have been a neighborly thing to do to walk over with a pair of work gloves and offer to help. He would have finished his task faster and you would have built a better relationship with the guy.
Why is it only Southerners and Midwesterners think of things like that?

DC

nextwife

Wow. Just WOW. I've lived in the Midwest my entire life ,and never thought twice about neighbors using power tools, weed-wackers, hedge trimmers, chain saws, lawn mowers or whatever on either a Saturday or a Sunday (large Jewish population whose Sabbath is Saturday thus their lawn day is often Sunday). Nor questioned a neighbor's right to plant trees and let them grow tall and strong (it seems every time a poster wants a neighbors to remove a tree from their OWN property because it grew too high, it's a Californian!)

drewguy

To answer your question, it is ambiguous. What other items are listed in Table A.4?

From what you've posted, it appears that power tools are exempt if used by an owner on Saturdays and may be further exempted by Table A.4.

If your complaint is that it was a work crew, well, call the cops or something.

Country Living

Why is it only Southerners and Midwesterners think of things like that?

DC
'Cause we use our manners. I remember being a young 'un and saying "uh hu" instead of "yes ma'am" to my grandmother. I got to select the switch she was going to use from the willow tree. Never did that again.

Now Alex, think seriously about this - wouldn't you appreciate the neighbor bringing his chain saw over to your place and helping you cut up a tree that fell or trim a limb that was hanging too low?

Last edited:

JustAPal00

Did I log onto the "Moral advice web site again?" As much as I can't stand neighbors like this either, the OP asked a legal question. OP, since it was a work crew, it sounds like they were in violation of the ordinance.

nextwife

Yup, they were perhaps. And they were probably putting in extra time to finish the project before Christmas, because people LOVE having their place torn apart when company is coming over.

Poster can decide whether this is really important enough to fuss about. Especially if the work is now done and they are not working any other weekends.

Alex23

Poster can decide whether this is really important enough to fuss about. Especially if the work is now done and they are not working any other weekends.
I just want to know what to do next time I wake up on a Saturday or Sunday to chainsaws. Are they allowed or prohibited? Does it make a difference if it is owner operated or not?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just want to know what to do next time I wake up on a Saturday or Sunday to chainsaws. Are they allowed or prohibited? Does it make a difference if it is owner operated or not?
Call code enforcement - they'd be the ones to deal with this.

drewguy

Have you asked the neighbor yet to try to avoid having such work done on a weekend?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">