• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fictitious plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cobre

I am from Oklahoma ,i bougt a trailer in ca. when i brought it back i found out that oklahoma do not title this trailers or gives registration to them. after two years, after i purchased this trailer ,i took a trip to az to pick up and old beater that i bought . got pull over by a cop for having expired license plates in the trailer.i told him that they were the old plates to the previous owner that i never took them off i forgot about them because oklahoma will not register this trailer...so he have me a ticket for fictitious plates even dough the trailer is not require to have tags and impound the trailer for not proof of ownership. Any help with this problem appreciated??

Last edited:

You are on the hook for the fictitious plate, you should know to never run anything down the road with someone else's plates on it.

Oklahoma DOES register trailers - for as little as $7 a year.

However, since trailer registration rules vary wildly from state to state, you should keep a copy of your state's rules with you when you travel across state lines.

You need to register that trailer before you take it anywhere again.

Perhaps if you register It now you can get it back. Otherwise you may need to reach the guy you bought it from.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I would think it would depend to a certain extent on the type of trailer. I have never seen a semi trailer legally without plates.

No they don't. Oklahoma, the OP's state makes it optional. Idaho did not require trailers to be registered the last time I was there 15 years ago.
OP stated OK will not register the trailer. That was not correct. For $7 OP could have registered the trailer and put his vehicle tag # on it. Seems prudent if you are crossing 3 states to pick up a "beater". (Of which I've seen plenty in OK, TX, and NM so this must be a special one to go all the way to AZ).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">