• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop payment checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcheeks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I wrote a check to someone for mowing my grass. He came back the next day and told me he lost the check. I told him that I wasn't going to pay him until I stopped payment on the check. I stopped payment the next day and gave him the cash. A month later I received a letter by certified mail, he cashed the chech at a check cashing place and now they say I'm responsible to pay them the amount of the check plus a $35 fee. Does anyone know if this is correct? It doesn't seem right that I'm responsible to the check cashing place as I didn't write them the check.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you stopped payment on the check then you shouldn't be responsible to some check cashing place, or any business that cashed that check.

Contact your bank and let them know what happened. Make sure the payment was, in fact, stopped and find out from them if there is anything they can do to help out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">