• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dtshadow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona. I separated from my wife in 1986. I moved to AZ in 1992. Ihave not seen her since then and have not talked to her since 1995. I am 61. She is 56. Our children are adults. I do not know where my wife currently lives. I own a minimal amount of property, and I receive a small service-connected VA disability check each month. I have applied for SSI disability. My VA psychologist is recommending I get a divorce so I can have some "closure" on that period of my life. What would that entail?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona. I separated from my wife in 1986. I moved to AZ in 1992. Ihave not seen her since then and have not talked to her since 1995. I am 61. She is 56. Our children are adults. I do not know where my wife currently lives. I own a minimal amount of property, and I receive a small service-connected VA disability check each month. I have applied for SSI disability. My VA psychologist is recommending I get a divorce so I can have some "closure" on that period of my life. What would that entail?
Because you do not know where your wife is you'll have to file and serve by publication.

The rules for that vary from state to state so the best thing for you to do will be to get a consult with a local attorney who can tell you what you need to do, or where you can find the answers you need.

BTW please lock your other thread so that it doesn't get confused, thanks.

LdiJ

You need to ask your children to help you contact your wife, so that you can 1) find out if she perhaps already divorced you somehow, or 2) so that you can contact her to arrange for a divorce. If you have no contact with your children then you need to attempt to contact her family to make contact with her. If that is impossible then you need an attorney to help you do a divorce by publication.

You separated 23 years ago, its very possible that she has already divorced you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">