• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse lies and hiding assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathyvan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arizona
I am in process of divorce without an attorney. I filed for a hearing and have requested financial disclosure from my spouse. He says he has an attorney. He is hiding assets and lieing about everything. I don't have money for a lawyer and was turned down for legal aid. What will i need for the hearing to help me? I have requested documents from his partner , and requested copy of stock certificates.We had acreage and a mobile home , stocks, royalty income from his partnership; a trust we made together, and tons of personal property which he states he no longer has. Will i have a fighting chance in court without counsel? Will he have to show what he did with the property he says we no longer have? Help!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

I am in process of divorce without an attorney. I filed for a hearing and have requested financial disclosure from my spouse. He says he has an attorney. He is hiding assets and lieing about everything. I don't have money for a lawyer and was turned down for legal aid. What will i need for the hearing to help me? I have requested documents from his partner , and requested copy of stock certificates.We had acreage and a mobile home , stocks, royalty income from his partnership; a trust we made together, and tons of personal property which he states he no longer has. Will i have a fighting chance in court without counsel? Will he have to show what he did with the property he says we no longer have? Help!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
How do you know he's lying?

nextwife

How long were you married? Were all his assets MARITAL assets, or were some PREmarital assets? Has his industry been hurt by the recession? If so, has your financial output been adjusted to reflect the lower input? If not, perhaps he sold off assets to keep the household & business going?

mistoffolees

I strongly advise against going it alone in any but the simplest uncontested divorces. If there are that many assets involved, you run the risk of losing everything because you do not follow the correct procedure. If there are assets, see an attorney to see if they will agree to be paid from marital assets or work out a payment plan. Take a second job if you have to. Find a way to save the money. If you mess it up, there's no going back.

However, if you have requested the appropriate documents using the correct paperwork, he will be obligated to comply. The problem is that he may not comply and you're going to have to deal with that. Or he may only partially comply.

If you absolutely MUST do it yourself, you really need to start by learning the process involved in your state and working from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">