• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i qulify to be an independent contractor? laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nitecat8

An employer wants to hire me as an independent contractor. I've never worked as an IC before. I want to find out if I qulify to have that status legally. This is for an hourly pay receptionist job. Can anybody help?

A

Always searching

Anyone can qualify as an independent contractor. This is the short and the long of it. The person who hires you as an independent has relieved himself of any liability, taxes, insurance, workman's comp insurance. In other words, you are responsible for your own social security taxes, insurance and liability at your job. You are responsible for keeping out a percentage of your pay so that when you do your taxes, you pay into the social security tax and state tax depending on where you are. You are subject to his rules to satisfy the agreement, but if you quit, there is no unemployment from him per se. Depending on the amount of money you have made in the last six quarters, they would pro rate that for unemployment, however, he will more than likely pre qualify an agreement between yourself and him and have it signed and notorized so he is not liable for anything. Being independent is nice if you don't need benefits from a company. This will also not count towards any retirement. Weigh these things carefully and ask for a higher wage than you would normally need because health, dental insurance is expensive and taxes are constant. Personally, there are receptionist jobs that pay well at businesses that offer insurance and the ability to move up into something else. I would look towards a more secure job unless you are the happiest you have ever been in this job as an independent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">