• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uninsured vehicle parked outside of home was hit by insured driver.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Autumn Renae

I live in Michigan and my UNINSURED car was parked outside my home, another car slid into it causing damage. There are witnesses, and the driver does not deny it. I called the police made a report, is there anything i can do? The driver of the other vehicle IS insured.

ecmst12

And the MOST they would pay, thanks to Michigan's no-fault laws, is $500 which would represent your deductible if you had collision coverage. In your state, the owner always has to pay for his own damage other then the $500 mini-tort.

If you'd been insured, you might have been able to collect the full repair cost because there is an exception for legally parked cars. But that exception may only apply to legally registered and insured parked cars. File the claim and see what happens but don't hold your breath. You should have had insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">