• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex girlfriend won't return personal property..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

guru

I live in the metro Boston area in Massachussetts and broke up with my girlfriend six months ago. We had been going out for about 4 years. I had bought a TV, VCR, Camcorder, Camera and a Playstation during those years. First, she agreed to give me back those things but now she changed her mind and wants to keep it. I have reciepts for most of those things and I never actually gave them to her as gifts. I am wondering what my rights are in this matter and should I persue legal advice. Thanks in advance.

JETX

I think the key here is in your post where you say, "I never actually gave them to her as gifts". If she could show that you 'actually did give' them to her as gifts or you can't show that you didn't, this will simply become a case of your word against hers. And since you will be the person bringing the suit, the burden of proof will be on you to convince the court that the items are in fact yours and were not given to her.

If you feel you can show that to the court, go for it. Otherwise, you got an expensive lesson in "when leaving, take everything you want now!! You may not get another chance!".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">