• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy of Retirement Accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Edo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

My company received a subpoena from the defendants attorney requesting my 401-k balance and they provided it. I am the Plaintiff (Pro Se). I issued a subpoena requesting her account information, which is a Public Employye Retirement Account. The Attorney General of Ohio responded, stating that this information was private and could not be provided unless the defendant signed a release, or the court ordered disclosure. HOW CAN SHE GET MY RETIREMENT ACCOUNT INFO, BUT I CAN'T GET HERS??? This could cost me $40,000. Please help.

Proserpina

My company received a subpoena from the defendants attorney requesting my 401-k balance and they provided it. I am the Plaintiff (Pro Se). I issued a subpoena requesting her account information, which is a Public Employye Retirement Account. The Attorney General of Ohio responded, stating that this information was private and could not be provided unless the defendant signed a release, or the court ordered disclosure. HOW CAN SHE GET MY RETIREMENT ACCOUNT INFO, BUT I CAN'T GET HERS??? This could cost me $40,000. Please help.

How is this going to cost you $40k? Was your subpoena prepared and served correctly?

LdiJ

You can get hers, you simply have to get the court to order it. Its not that big of a "deal".

However, as has already been mentioned, only the amount that accrued during the marriage is relevant...on both sides.

Edo

Retirement Accounts

All accumulated during Marriage.

The subpoena was submitted correctly, but a subpoena is just a request for information (Correct?). The attorney general said they would not provide unless the defendant signed a release or the court ordered it. Are there different privacy issues with a Public Employee Retirement than a private 401-k?

How do I get the court to order? Woudl that be a "Motion to Compel Discovery"?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">