• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was parked in a driveway, was hit. I'm NOT insured the driver is. Can I be fined?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Markthedude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I'm currently living in Missouri, and that's where the accident took place.

The person that hit me is from Indiana.

My car was parked in the driveway, they backed out and in the process hit my car.

My car is no longer insured as I'm switching from MN to MO. My car has MN license plates if that matters.

The person who hit me is my friend and I didn't know that they were going to take care of the problem so I was surprised when I got a voice mail from her insurance agent.

My main concern here is that I might get into trouble for not having that car insured.

Is there something I should do before I call her agent back?

Thanks.

ecmst12

There is a chance, but it's low. You don't need to volunteer that your car was uninsured, I'm sure they just want to pay for your damage and close the claim.

ecmst12

That doesn't so much matter, if the car is registered it's supposed to be insured. But this was probably a minor accident with no police involvement, and not too many states have mandatory DMV reporting for accidents like CA (for example) so the adjuster need never know or care that OP is uninsured. But hopefully that problem will be corrected ASAP right???

Markthedude

That doesn't so much matter, if the car is registered it's supposed to be insured. But this was probably a minor accident with no police involvement, and not too many states have mandatory DMV reporting for accidents like CA (for example) so the adjuster need never know or care that OP is uninsured. But hopefully that problem will be corrected ASAP right???
There was no police involvement what so ever and I'm pretty sure that my state MO, doesn't have the mandatory law your speaking of.

And yes, I will be getting it insured asap! I just finished a 3 month internship where the bus was my best friend as I wasn't being paid during the internship.

TinkerBelleLuvr

There was no police involvement what so ever and I'm pretty sure that my state MO, doesn't have the mandatory law your speaking of.

And yes, I will be getting it insured asap! I just finished a 3 month internship where the bus was my best friend as I wasn't being paid during the internship.
Comprehensive only insurance can be pretty cheap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">