• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability for stolen car towing and storage fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moonrock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
My car was stolen 10 days ago. Today I got a certified letter from the police saying they have my car. I went to the PD, did the required paperwork and then went to the impound lot. My car was stripped and undriveable. The impound lot says I am still responsible for 1/2 of the towing and storage fees (about $250 total as of now) even if I don't want the car, which I don't. My question is, am I legally liable for the towing and storage? If I don't pay, will they come after me?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
My car was stolen 10 days ago. Today I got a certified letter from the police saying they have my car. I went to the PD, did the required paperwork and then went to the impound lot. My car was stripped and undriveable. The impound lot says I am still responsible for 1/2 of the towing and storage fees (about $250 total as of now) even if I don't want the car, which I don't. My question is, am I legally liable for the towing and storage? If I don't pay, will they come after me?
Yes you are responsible. It is still your car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">