• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

North Carolina Reckless Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kb1202

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
Recently I was driving 8 hours home from college and I was in North Carolina. I was entering an area of road work and I was in the left lane, which I was in was ending. I was following a pickup truck and I could not see around it to know how soon the lane was actually ending. I began to make my way over into the right lane so I looked to my right to see no opening and when I turned around the car in front of me was at nearly at a dead stop. In order to avoid it I went left in between the road and the guardrail. I slightly hit the guardrail and then could not stop in time to avoid one of those big orange arrow signs, usually seen at construction sights, that signal traffic to merge into the next lane. My car had a fair amount of damage but I did a small amount of damage to the sign itself. When the cop showed up to the crash he cited me with reckless driving to endanger, which I now have a court date for. I feel as though I acted in the best way I could based on the situation I avoided the other car and brought my car to its stopping point with the least damage. I do realize that because I was the car behind it is my fault. Based on the situation I do not believe it is worthy of reckless driving. What should I do in this situation and what am I looking at with respect to fines and license points? If this is explained to a judge would that be sufficient to reduce the charge? Also, I was going slightly above the speed limit when this occurred(5 to 10 mph). is that a possible charge considering no one actually witnessed that?

FlyingRon

Here's the text of the statute:

Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular area without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property shall be guilty of reckless driving.

You were speeding in a construction zone, following too close, failed to maintain control of your vehicle and you ran into an four foot blinking yellow arrow. You think you acted "the best you could" ? Sounds like there was a lack of due caution and circumspection.

Sure go to court and try to sell the judge on that. Maybe he will reduce it to speeding through a work zone, also a class 2 misdemeanor.

I'd suggest a lawyer, I don't recommend people go to court without one when jail time is involved, and certainly not those as deluded as you are.

tammy8

What state is your license in?

Reckless driving is usually a step down from DWI. You need an attorney!

PS I have no sorrow for you. My Brother is over a road crew. They are just out there doing their jobs trying to NOT get hit. This should not be the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">