• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking advice on a co-admin probated estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SCongelosi89

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I have a situation on my hands that involves my wife and her 2 brothers but only my wife and her oldest brother are co-administrators of their deceased Dads estate but my wife is in charge of the finances. They just sold his house and all 3 are to recieve over $20,000 each this is where my question comes in. Her brother, (we'll call him Ed) who is the co-admin of the estate, is a heroin abuser and not one time did he offer to help with the estate when it came to filing the proper paper work with the city to probate his estate, paying off all their dads debts, etc Pretty much there is no reason he should have been appointed Co-admin, well what is happening is Ed owes his mother over $4100, $3000 for a school loan, $200she paid to get her car out of the impound lot that got towed because of Ed, $400 for Suboxone (a detox med for optiot abusers) and $500 for a Gas card he maxed out and he refuses to pay her back. Is there anything my wife can do to his share of the house sale to pay back their mom legally? I know her mom can sue him in small claims court but he might end up spending all of his money before their day in court. What options do my family have in this matter? Please help :confused:

Dandy Don

Get him to sign a promissory note agreeing that he owes the $4100 or ask him to get a letter of credit or loan from a bank or credit union for that amount (using his potential inheritance as collateral) so that he can make repayment BEFORE he is issued his check from the estate. IF he won't cooperate, put the money in a trust account indefinitely until he agrees to meet his obligation.

anteater

IF he won't cooperate, put the money in a trust account indefinitely until he agrees to meet his obligation.
Under what theory do you propose that the estate administrator has authority to do this?

OP - Your wife, as administrator of the estate, does not have a dog in this fight. It is between the brother and the mother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">