• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor accident...big bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wendell376

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Earlier this year I had a minor car accident...the accident was my fault

The other driver and I looked both cars over and we decided no police involvement was necessary and the incident was never reported

My car sustained NO damage(a smudge on bumper from less than 5 mph coasting nick on other car)

The owner of other car claims every mark in general area the collision of his car was caused by me(has visible dent in back left body panel...the red plastic left rear taillight was broken(light bulb still intact and working) and a small crack in bumper)

I am finding this hard to believe as other areas of the car had minor scratches and rust(I did not examine every bit of the car but it was a 10 year old car and looked like one)

So I check with Carfax and it turns out he is the second owner of this car...for the first owner EVERYTHING was listed(every time it was serviced or any other general maintenance) but from the time he got the car in 11/07/2006 to 12/23/2009(and over 70000 miles later) there are NO records for this car of any kind(simple servicing or other possible accidents) other than registering the car

Is it possible there might be other minor accidents that do not show up on this car as well?(small enough not to get reported to the police like this one)

I ask because I got a bill from his mechanic for $750.00 and even that was not on the Carfax report either

Like I said earlier...we barely touched cars and I don't see how I could hit his left tail light so lightly as to break the red plastic cover but not the bulb and still put a substantial dent and crack his bumper also without so much as a scratch on my car to show for it

Am I responsible for all damage in the general area of where I hit his car? How can I know if I really am or he is just seeing this as a way to get earlier damage fixed from some other accident he either caused himself or had no other way to get someone else to pay for

I don't want to be a jerk but also don't want to be a sucker either

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yet another reason to CYA with a police report even if you have no intention of filing an insurance claim.

What does "earlier this year" mean?

ecmst12

$750 is not very much when it comes to body work. It COULD be a legit bill. But if you want to dispute it, turn it over to your insurance company and let them figure it out.

JETX

Is it possible there might be other minor accidents that do not show up on this car as well?
Of course.

I ask because I got a bill from his mechanic for $750.00 and even that was not on the Carfax report either
Not relevant.

Am I responsible for all damage in the general area of where I hit his car?
No. You are only responsible for the damage that you caused. Of course, the problem here is how do you PROVE that the damage claimed was not a part of YOUR accident??

How can I know if I really am or he is just seeing this as a way to get earlier damage fixed from some other accident he either caused himself or had no other way to get someone else to pay for
You protect yourself by getting a damage assessment AT the time of the accident. This is done by taking pictures or having a police report made. You didn't, so you now have to either pay up what is claimed or be prepared to argue what you did or didn't do... in court if necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">