• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bought A Car Online That Turned Out To Be Stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paulhunde

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Got a bit of a dilemma here, and I'm going to try to make a long story short. I saw an ad on Craigslist in NY for a car that was listed with no title, it was supposed to be a project car. It was just what I needed, as I bought a car with a wrecked front end, and I could get all the parts from this car to repair mine. I contacted the seller, he let me know he bought it from an auction with no title, and he did not have the keys. I asked him for the VIN, he emailed me one, and the Carfax checked out OK. I set up a shipper to pick it up, write out a check to the seller for the amount, and deliver it to me. After the shipper picked it up, he told me the seller had drove the car on the trailer, but would not give him the key.

The car showed up a few days later, and when I saw the car and how good of shape it was in, I got suspicious. I wrote down the VIN, went home, and Carfaxed it and discovered it was previously stolen a week before. I immediately called the local police, they took a statement, and towed it away. I talked to the seller the next day who assured me he had no idea it was stolen. After talking to my lawyer, he instructed me to recontact the seller, and ask for my money back. I did, and he told me he didn't have it anymore. My lawyer contacted him, and the seller told him he would have his lawyer contact mine. It never happened.

Not too long after that, a NYPD detective contacted me, and said he was on the case. I haven't spoken to him in over a month, and he won't return my emails. Since then, the car has gone back to the rightful owner, and I'm left with nothing. I cannot believe that this guy can get away with this...what can I do?

CdwJava

The police will not go after him for your monetary loss. If they cannot prove he was a thief, he may just be a witness. My suggestion would be to sue the guy who sold you the car ... but, if in another state, the cost to sue him might be more than the value of the car.

This is yet another reason why I rail against these auction sites Craigslist in particular ... too many crooks.

paulhunde

Yeah, the amount for the car was 5200 plus 800 shipping. The thing is, he KNEW it was stolen. I don't think he knew it was when he bought it, but he knew when he sold it. He told me the VIN on the dash was different than the VIN on the paperwork because he changed the dash. That's a lie. Problem is, a stolen car in NY is about as popular as people blowing stop signs around here.

CdwJava

Yeah, the amount for the car was 5200 plus 800 shipping. The thing is, he KNEW it was stolen. I don't think he knew it was when he bought it, but he knew when he sold it. He told me the VIN on the dash was different than the VIN on the paperwork because he changed the dash. That's a lie. Problem is, a stolen car in NY is about as popular as people blowing stop signs around here.
And his defense will be that he read the wrong VIN, you copied it down wrong, ad nauseum. It will still come down to what can be proven, and what you and the police might KNOW can often be a far cry from what the state can prove beyond a reasonable doubt at trial. It would be awesome of they could prosecute him, but do not lay all your hopes on that chance. Consider suing him as well. Though, from the amounts, I'd say it is a small claims action ... I am not fluent enough in small claims matters to know whether or not you have to sue him where HE lives, or where YOU live. If where YOU live, it might benefit you. If where HE lives, it will probably not be worth it for you. Unless he does sufficient amount of sales or work in your state, it is likely to be HIS state where you have to file. Consider the cost of traveling back and forth a minimum of three times in your thinking ... it may be throwing good money after bad, especially if this guy has no money or assets to collect from.

dave33

Sometimes it's just better to keep your head down. It's a lot easier to be righteous when you're rich.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">