• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-married separation and refusal to return undocumented property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BobbyE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My brother and his girlfriend split up when he went to jail. At their house is a bunch of his stuff, and plenty of stuff that my family gave to my brother. Some of the items were from our grandparents and very old, therefor we have no receipts. In case of her refusal to return his property, what legal options do we have?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

My brother and his girlfriend split up when he went to jail. At their house is a bunch of his stuff, and plenty of stuff that my family gave to my brother. Some of the items were from our grandparents and very old, therefor we have no receipts. In case of her refusal to return his property, what legal options do we have?
You have none, but your brother needs to request that his property is returned.

What did the girlfriend say when he asked her about this?

BobbyE

he told us that we need to get his stuff. she has a no contact order against him so he can't talk to her about it. We had the police meet us out there today, she isn't going to let us get our stuff yet. The officers said that we are going to need to contact the county's deputy in order to make an appointment so we, the deputy, and her can go over there to gather our belongings. The way it sounds is that she is going to claim that most of our stuff actually belongs to her, is there anything we can do about this?

mistoffolees

he told us that we need to get his stuff. she has a no contact order against him so he can't talk to her about it. We had the police meet us out there today, she isn't going to let us get our stuff yet. The officers said that we are going to need to contact the county's deputy in order to make an appointment so we, the deputy, and her can go over there to gather our belongings. The way it sounds is that she is going to claim that most of our stuff actually belongs to her, is there anything we can do about this?
Sure. Produce receipts or other proof of ownership. If you can't prove it's yours, your chances of getting it are slim. Alternatively, go to court to get a court order for it to be returned, but you're still likely to have to prove that it's yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">